Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10470  by kyiori

I am a beginner in keeping opae ula as aquarium pets, I have already purchased a 1.3 gallon Aquarium tank (filled with 1 gallon of brackish water), red sea salt, refractometer and lava rocks. I'm using inert sand for substrate and lava rocks only. This will not change the pH level or water parameters.

I need some help with the following questions.

1.) Being in Singapore, what is the optimal salinity level based on the country's higher temperature? Average mean temperature is around 27.8 degree. Is it fine with 1.010 salinity?

2.) For inert sand, Can I can choose this brand ADA La Plata Sand?

3.) What is the easiest way to cycle the tank with inert sand, lava rocks and brackish water? Can I just leave it alone for 4 weeks and let biofilm and algae to produce on its own using aquarium light?

4.) Should I add some chaetomorpha moss balls since I am running a low maintenance setup?

5.) Is it possible for opae ula to reproduce in a 1-gallon filled tank, assuming I begin with a population of 4-5 shrimp?
Last edited by kyiori on 20 Jan 2023 15:55, edited 5 times in total.
 #10474  by kyiori

btw for my 2nd question. is ADA la plata sand quality good? anyone heard of it before and used for opae ula substrate?

for 3rd question. since im not doing any human intervention and leave the new tank alone for 4 weeks after setting up inert sand, lava rocks and filled the tank with brackish water. how does biofilm produce on its own?

sorry for the silly questions. new to keeping opae ula.

currently not planning to buy water test kit until i have more savings.
 #10476  by opae ula related

kyiori wrote:btw for my 2nd question. is ADA la plata sand quality good? anyone heard of it before and used for opae ula substrate?

for 3rd question. since im not doing any human intervention and leave the new tank alone for 4 weeks after setting up inert sand, lava rocks and filled the tank with brackish water. how does biofilm produce on its own?

sorry for the silly questions. new to keeping opae ula.

currently not planning to buy water test kit until i have more savings.
Opae ula are not picky, only the owners are Imageon substrate. If aquarium safe, then you are good. It won’t stay light color over time though.

You dont see it, but there are living things in the water and air. Imagine how humans were created from nothing ha. Takes time… just like you cant see the covid virus but it’s there🥸

If you see algae growth in 4 to 6 weeks is one method without a test kit.
 #10477  by kyiori

So far, I didn't see any algae, but I did see some transparent oily stuff (biofilm) on the surface of the water after 4 weeks. I don't see any algae on the lava rocks or aquarium windows. salinity level at 1.010.

Do you think it's ready for Opae Ula to live in the new tank? Or wait until brown or greenish aglae is formed..