Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #10148  by NewShrimp

Hi everyone!

I currently have 2 opae in a 1 gallon tank. I set up a 3 gallon tank using distilled water and reef salt, which was measured out for 3 gallons. I set up their new tank the same way I set up their 1 gallon tank. I added substrate, calcium carbonate pebbles, macroalgae, and lava rocks. Some brown algae are now visible on the sides of the tank. Since the new 3 gallon tank has sat for 4 months, I figured it would be all set for the shrimp. I tested the water with the API Freshwater Master Test kit. Nitrite is at 0 ppm, nitrate is at 0 ppm, and ammonia may be at 0.25; it's difficult to tell. Depending on the lighting, it looks like it could be at 0 ppm or 0.25 ppm. I did some research and read that a cycled tank usually has some nitrates, and upon further research, I learned that if you're doing a fishless cycle, then you usually need to feed the tank with food or dose it with ammonia, which I have not done. Should I feed the tank and wait until some nitrates appear before moving them over?

I was also wondering if I should drip acclimate the shrimp or do anything special when it's time for them to go into their new tank. I got them from an ecosphere, so when I moved them into their 1 gallon tank, I just floated the ecosphere and allowed them to swim out. Now that I can't do that, I wanted to know the best way to safely transfer them over.

Thanks! :)

Edit: Shoot I meant for this to be under the health section...if someone could please move this post over that would be greatly appreciated, or this can be deleted and I can repost it there
 #10153  by odin

Hey there! Have you tried testing the water in your current tank for ammonia to compare it with your new one? I wouldn't drip acclimatise them on moving them over. You could even use the water out of your old tank if you wanted to.

If your tank is 4 months old I wouldn't worry about cycling it with food etc, put the shrimp in and keep an eye on the water parameters, good luck!