Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10146  by John92312

Hi everyone!
Recently I adopted this wonderful creature opae ula from my friend weeks ago.
Just about yesterday, I found out there are small little white dots things roaming around on the tank glass. It doesn't really attracted by light. It moves like an ants way of movement. So I suspect it's some kind of bug.
I've recently done/messed up two things :oh:
1. I put in a chaetomicro algae in the tank. I rinse it before I put in and found out there is a big centipede-like worm came out.
2. I accidentally dropped whole can of shrimp food on the tank .. even though I sucked it out as soon as I can. I'm afraid it might contaminated the water.
Does anyone know whether this kind of bug is it harmful for shrimps? How do I get rid of them?
Thanks a lot!
Attachments:
Tank setup
Tank setup
16408362025033078346732032009672.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 6621 times
Little bug
Little bug
20211230_114706.jpg (836.64 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
 #10149  by John92312

Thanks for replying!
The worm are a lot smaller and shorter than the one in the video. They are more like a dot than a lineπŸ˜…. Maybe haven't fully grown? The picture attached is the best shot I could get. They are really tiny and hard to focus on by the camera...
Yes the cheato should be a salt water algae, at least that's what the seller told meπŸ˜…
 #10152  by odin

John92312 wrote:Thanks for replying!
The worm are a lot smaller and shorter than the one in the video. They are more like a dot than a lineπŸ˜…. Maybe haven't fully grown? The picture attached is the best shot I could get. They are really tiny and hard to focus on by the camera...
Yes the cheato should be a salt water algae, at least that's what the seller told meπŸ˜…
Yes these are what appeared in my one of my tanks, they will all die out eventually, nothing to worry about. :wink:
 #10162  by opaeforever

The worm you saw in the chaeto algae is probably bristle worm, try remove them if possible.
Else next time before put in the cheato algae, can soak them in reverse osmosis water for few minutes, it will kill the bristle worm and some other bugs.
You may want to remove that cholla wood as it is softwood, may lower the ph and may make the water browning.
The white dot bug is probably copepod, these are good guys.
 #10166  by John92312

Happy new year and thanks for your reply!
I googled bristle worm and that looks exactly like it. It still gives me goosebumps when I saw those pics haha.
Oops ok then I might need to remove the wood. They seem really like it though.
Wow those good guys are really in disguise thenπŸ˜‚