Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10236  by Chaiwatuk

odin wrote:Welcome! @Chaiwatuk I would just let the water sit for a good month and test the parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
After one month. Ammonia is still minimum so I guess that nitrogen cycle has not really kicked off. I leave this at 27 C and light on/off on a 12 months cycle. Shall I keep waiting or are there anything else that I should do?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #10237  by odin

Do you have a lid on your tank? If so i would remove it until you get some algae growth.
 #10238  by Chaiwatuk

odin wrote:Do you have a lid on your tank? If so i would remove it until you get some algae growth.
Yes I do… will remove it now. Thanks.

#10246  by odin

Any updates on your tank?
 #10247  by Chaiwatuk

odin wrote:Any updates on your tank?
Many thanks Odin for checking in. Report - some films on the surface but no serious algae.
Salinity - 1.010 - 11; ammonia negligible, nitrate - 0; nitrite - 2.52 (surprisingly high given no ammonia); carbonate 12 DH; ph 7.7.

#10254  by Javik

Chaiwatuk wrote: 26 Mar 2022 20:11
Many thanks Odin for checking in. Report - some films on the surface but no serious algae.
Salinity - 1.010 - 11; ammonia negligible, nitrate - 0; nitrite - 2.52 (surprisingly high given no ammonia); carbonate 12 DH; ph 7.7.

Are you able to get any brackish macroalgae/chaetomorpha locally? It's common for algae spores to be present in anything introduced, adding the water the algae comes with can be beneficial at this stage. Should help kickstart it if the environment is too sterile.
 #10255  by Chaiwatuk

Javik wrote:

Are you able to get any brackish macroalgae/chaetomorpha locally? It's common for algae spores to be present in anything introduced, adding the water the algae comes with can be beneficial at this stage. Should help kickstart it if the environment is too sterile.
Thank you Javik. To save time, are you or [mention]odin [/mention] in UK? That way i can use some of yours and happy to compensate for the cost. Otherwise i would be running around and end up with seed algae / water that does not work properly in brackish water condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 #10256  by Javik

Chaiwatuk wrote: 31 Mar 2022 21:09
Javik wrote:

Thank you Javik. To save time, are you or [mention]odin [/mention] in UK? That way i can use some of yours and happy to compensate for the cost. Otherwise i would be running around and end up with seed algae / water that does not work properly in brackish water condition.

Odin would be your best bet there, I ordered my Opae and Chaeto from him. Not sure if he's selling chaeto seperately right now though as I only see shrimp on his eBay link (top of page, store tab)
 #10258  by odin

Javik wrote: 02 Apr 2022 13:33
Chaiwatuk wrote: 31 Mar 2022 21:09
Javik wrote:

Odin would be your best bet there, I ordered my Opae and Chaeto from him. Not sure if he's selling chaeto seperately right now though as I only see shrimp on his eBay link (top of page, store tab)

I'm not selling macro algae at moment but if you cover shipping I will send some out to you free, this shouldn't be behind lock and key :happy: .