Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #9907  by Vorteil

This is my chaeto you bought. There's no way this would would die in a week. Even if your parameters were off. This a strain of chaeto that goes back almost 6 years when I bought it from google. This is the only type of macro algae that I know of that's a brackish water type. I've tried full salt & that will melt away within a week or two.
 #9910  by N8ddles

Vorteil wrote:This is my chaeto you bought. There's no way this would would die in a week. Even if your parameters were off. This a strain of chaeto that goes back almost 6 years when I bought it from google. This is the only type of macro algae that I know of that's a brackish water type. I've tried full salt & that will melt away within a week or two.
Thats whats confusing me, I've had yours before which is why I purchased again I gave the original tank to a friend and its still going strong, this one was a fresh tank and for some reason I killed it. I know the Chaetos good so I'm trying to figure out what I could have done to disintegrate it ... All I can think is moving it to close to this window and the water agitation from the pump but no ones said anything of the sort so I'm like I doubt it freak accident? Maybe? The only things I've changed since last time was water of course, the tank placement and I got a higher powered light

I know you have good quality Chaeto which is why I came back so I'm like ....what did I do
 #9911  by Vorteil

Ok from your response you just answered the reason why it died. You can't put this in freshwater. At minimum it needs brackish water. My salinity is at 1.010 I can only guess it can take full salt.
 #10020  by jimbo123

Hi, fairly new to the site and first posting and wish to ask a question about Chaeto. I have two tanks set up,a 15l with white silica sand and crushed coral as substrate and a 20l with crushed coral and black fluval stratum as substrate. Both tanks are occupied by purchases from this site, my question is in the 20l the Chaeto is a very nice thick dark green, but the Chaeto in the 15l is/appears to be growing but is a very light green almost transparent in places, it was quite dark but has recently taken on this whispy appearance. Both tanks have some Red Lava rock and Limestone coral. The Opae are doing fine in both tanks, berried females and newborns in the 15l as yet no new offspring in the 20l, but it is the younger of the two. Any ideas out there on the Chaeto issue in my 15l would be appreciated, ferts not being used in either, water parameters are spot on, salinity 1.010sg in both.
Many Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions.
 #10021  by Vorteil

@jimbo123

Your tank does not have enough resources in there to support it. Are you feeding the opae? if so how much & how often? It's their waste that will help feed the chaeto. Fluval Stratum is a poor choice as a substrate for an Opae Ula tank. It degrades and breaks down over time and will turn to mush. I know since I've used it for my Caridina tanks. Great as an active substrate but if it works well for you that's good. You will need to fertilize. The chaeto grow to a certain point then won't grow as it used to or not grow anymore. It's a plant it needs food. Just my opinion here.
 #10022  by jimbo123

Put a tiny amount of Spirulina powder in both tanks today, first time of feeding since tanks set up,5/6 months ago. Will add some ferts to tank and perhaps feed a bit more, any suggestions on a particular fert to use in brackish water, thanks for info re Fluval.
 #10023  by solomalawi.

Vorteil wrote:@jimbo123

Your tank does not have enough resources in there to support it. Are you feeding the opae? if so how much & how often? It's their waste that will help feed the chaeto. Fluval Stratum is a poor choice as a substrate for an Opae Ula tank. It degrades and breaks down over time and will turn to mush. I know since I've used it for my Caridina tanks. Great as an active substrate but if it works well for you that's good. You will need to fertilize. The chaeto grow to a certain point then won't grow as it used to or not grow anymore. It's a plant it needs food. Just my opinion here.
Do you fertilize? If so, with what?

Inviato dal mio SNE-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk