Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #9190  by TheMuggle

Hey there! I just recently set up my 2.5 gallon tank 2-3 days ago and I have a question about the clarity of the water. I notice that the water has a very slight cloudish tint to it compared to freshwater tanks, is this normal because of the salt?

Edit: Apparently this may be due to bacterial growth? I haven't been "feeding" my tank with anything, but it does have a macroalgae ball present in there. Should I feed it to keep the bacteria going or should I just let it cycle naturally? I'm about on day 3-4 right now. Thanks!
 #9193  by odin

Its super normal for this to happern and will clear up on its own, it is indeed a bacterial bloom and it is coming on quicker then normal because you have introduced if from the plant, just let the t ank do its thing. :happy:
 #9197  by TheMuggle

odin wrote:Its super normal for this to happern and will clear up on its own, it is indeed a bacterial bloom and it is coming on quicker then normal because you have introduced if from the plant, just let the t ank do its thing. :happy:
Thank you! I appreciate all the help :)
 #9198  by Vorteil

What type of substrate did you use? Was it a "live" active substrate? Did you wash it thoroughly?
 #9199  by TheMuggle

Vorteil wrote:What type of substrate did you use? Was it a "live" active substrate? Did you wash it thoroughly?
I used this and I did wash it with a few rinse of distilled water. I could have cleaned it better but I didn't want to risk using RO water since I'm not sure how good my filter is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046 ... UTF8&psc=1

It does seem to be clearing up already though which is nice.
 #9203  by TheMuggle

Thanks, it looks very clear now. I will be testing the water soon and maybe I can buy my shrimp earlier :)!
 #9204  by odin

I don’t see why not :) let us all know how you get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro