Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8197  by Vorteil

Just voicing my thoughts & opinions.

It's interesting to sit back and look at my tanks & wonder how different the parameters are for each one. Why is one more prolific at breeding then another. Or how can I get one to be just as prolific as the other one. I mean that's one of the goals in having the opae, right? To successfully breed them. At times it can be frustrating wondering why some fermales haven't become berried yet when all the parameters are good or at least I think they are. Or why does a simple quart jar has produced probably 50 new shrimp when it started with only 15 or so. That was 2 years ago. The breeding is off & on. I think I've been pretty lucky as you read about some that have waited over a year and still not eggs. I think there's definately a fine line between the right care & parameters but overall it's just set the tank & forget it. All it takes is time.
 #8213  by odin

Cheers for the feedback, My main tank has stopped breeding at the moment and we are dealing with temps outside of high 30's which is crazy for the UK. The smaller tanks which i sell from breed still through the heat but they are 1st time berried shrimp so maybe that's a thing?

I'm not trying to make a sale here but most of the people i have sold my shrimp to have gone on to have their own breeding happen and to be honest most of the UK share the same weather/temperatures so maybe the shrimp are happy with the same conditions?
 #8235  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Cheers for the feedback, My main tank has stopped breeding at the moment and we are dealing with temps outside of high 30's which is crazy for the UK. The smaller tanks which i sell from breed still through the heat but they are 1st time berried shrimp so maybe that's a thing?

I'm not trying to make a sale here but most of the people i have sold my shrimp to have gone on to have their own breeding happen and to be honest most of the UK share the same weather/temperatures so maybe the shrimp are happy with the same conditions?
Damn, high 30’s is Image too hot!
 #8236  by Vorteil

Wow I am surprised. When mine are in the upper 80's they stop breeding. That's great.