Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #7054  by marianne

Hi all,

I've had an opae ula tank for a few years now, and I combined it with my hobby of macro pictures/movies.
I live in the US but want to reach as much opae ula fans as possible; my interest here is to share the methods and setups people use for obtaining high resolution pictures and movies of the shrimps ! And a few exemples of their results :grin2: I've seen posts with incredible close up and movies on this forum, so I bet some of you have a lot to say about it !
As a starter, here is my setup : Olympus TG4 in macro mode, with or without an LED ring depending on the subject exposition. And two exemple pictures (around the topic of pigmentation because that's what I'm especially interest in currently :laugh: ) :
Attachments:
P4070004.JPG
P4070004.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 8451 times
P3290039.JPG
P3290039.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 8451 times
Last edited by marianne on 09 Apr 2019 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
 #7056  by marianne

opae ula related wrote:Nice pictures! Do you have one if your whole tank?
Here is a view of my 2.5 gallon tank. Shrimps, snails, macro algea and fake plants with piles of lava rock and a ceramic cube to hide :grin:
P4090002.JPG
P4090002.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 8443 times
opae ula related wrote:2nd pic, is that a yellowish color one?
It is ! Weird, right ? I go to a US forum where the owner seems to think it's a line of yellow:orange he has. I'm still not entirely convinced, because I have a yellow-ish algea and you can see the color is coming from within the shrimp rather than it's shell (where the red pigments are). But yeah, I was so surprised to find it ! Here is a picture with red and translucent shrimps close to the yellow one for reference
P3290033.JPG
P3290033.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 8443 times
 #7057  by opae ula related

Nice tank. Nice that you have black and white gravel, I also have that but it is live gravel. That is how it is naturally on some parts of Hawaii.

Dont think it is from your yellowish algae. (Pic?)
Per the Hawaiiian Anchialine Pools book, the Opae ula from Oahu are mostly pink to clear with some orange and yellow. Ones from the Maui and Big Island are red. Where did you purchase yours from?

#7058  by marianne

opae ula related wrote:Dont think it is from your yellowish algae. (Pic?)
Per the Hawaiiian Anchialine Pools book, the Opae ula from Oahu are mostly pink to clear with some orange and yellow. Ones from the Maui and Big Island are red. Where did you purchase yours from?
It is nice to have info confirming what the seller said on the other forum, my scepticism was misplaced :blush: ! I bought it from Mustafa, an American seller (the website is named pet shrimp). He mentions on the forum he thinks his initial shrimps were from Oahu indeed. That would also explain why they stay pink rather than the bright red I've seen in some other posts here. Thank you for the info :sidesmile:
The yellowish algae grows mainly on the ceramic cube, in the background of the last picture.
I also have shrimps with stripes pattern, a little more common in Mustafa's stocks.
P3020050.JPG
P3020050.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 8437 times
P2170015.JPG
P2170015.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 8435 times
I saw a few movies in your thread, I would be interested by how you manage to take them !
 #7063  by odin

That yellow Opae ula is sooo nice :smile: and those macro shots are great.. i'm just using an Sony nex-5n with a Sony NEX 30mm F/3.5 macro lens, i've also use their 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens with extension tubes. im an amateur who uses auto settings lol :blush: :blush: :blush:

Lovely photos though man, thanks for the share... im still waiting on a Gallery extension for the forum so we can have some images store for others to find user by user etc.
 #7114  by opae ula related

tzg wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 09 Apr 2019 03:04 just an iphone 7 with 4k with something like this.
https://amzn.to/2I4LvJX
you had the clearest close up pics and vids and i thought it was some expensive camera! :laugh: