Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6077  by opae ula related

Acit wrote:
opae ula related wrote:
Acit wrote:Hi, yes I'm from SG. Sorry forget to state that even the mini tank (3rd pic) was my previous collection. Here's the currently picture of my opae ula. I keep them in this ikea container. Last month I saw one of them berried with 7 eggs. Now they have became shrimplets, hardly to see them when compared to previous state where they are floating around. I can't wait to see them grow, and now I have 7 more opae ula into my collection : ) Image

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Do you plan to have a glass aquarium?
No plan for glass tank. The reasons are, first I want the container to be easily relocate as when I need it to be. Secondly, I would like the shrimps to have more privacy. I really looking forward to have another opae ula get berried : )
Proportion to a human adult, that container is like a football stadium. Looks like you have a lot of hiding spaces so they should still breed. :smile: ok maybe not a football stadium. :what: :laugh:
 #6078  by Paulao

opae ula related wrote: 07 Dec 2018 03:55
Acit wrote:
opae ula related wrote: Do you plan to have a glass aquarium?
No plan for glass tank. The reasons are, first I want the container to be easily relocate as when I need it to be. Secondly, I would like the shrimps to have more privacy. I really looking forward to have another opae ula get berried : )
Proportion to a human adult, that container is like a football stadium. Looks like you have a lot of hiding spaces so they should still breed. :smile: ok maybe not a football stadium. :what: :laugh:
They should really breed well in there. Looks more like the New Singapore stadium except without the automated roof. :laugh:
 #6079  by Paulao

Acit wrote: 07 Dec 2018 02:24
Paulao wrote:Hi @Acit , that ikea container does gives them some privacy. Good to hear yours breeding well it this hot weather. :sidesmile:
Hi Paulao, u r right I just want them to have more privacy in order for them to breed : ). Here in SG average weather is around 30degC.
That's great. Very soon you would have a colony like odin :smile:
 #6082  by Acit

opae ula related wrote:
Acit wrote:
opae ula related wrote: Do you plan to have a glass aquarium?
Proportion to a human adult, that container is like a football stadium. Looks like you have a lot of hiding spaces so they should still breed. Image ok maybe not a football stadium. :what: Image
Hahaha. Hopefully i can see a lot of young players soon : D
 #6083  by Acit

Paulao wrote:
Acit wrote: 07 Dec 2018 02:24
Paulao wrote:Hi @Acit , that ikea container does gives them some privacy. Good to hear yours breeding well it this hot weather. :sidesmile:
Hi Paulao, u r right I just want them to have more privacy in order for them to breed : ). Here in SG average weather is around 30degC.
That's great. Very soon you would have a colony like odin Image
I'm speechless & my jaw dropped when looking at the amount of shrimps he have Image
 #6091  by Vorteil

@Acit
Welcome to the forum!

That's great that you can get the opae to breed at 30 degrees C. For me either they would not breed at all or when a few would the babies would disappear after a day or two. All the water papameters were fine and I even separated the babies to another tank by themselves. Next day I would find them on the bottom dead. Now that the temps are down here in California 65-72 degrees I finding no issues at all.
Attachments:
IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG (32.16 KiB) Viewed 8697 times
IMG_2149.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG (43.68 KiB) Viewed 8697 times
 #6092  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 07 Dec 2018 21:35 @Acit
Welcome to the forum!

That's great that you can get the opae to breed at 30 degrees C. For me either they would not breed at all or when a few would the babies would disappear after a day or two. All the water papameters were fine and I even separated the babies to another tank by themselves. Next day I would find them on the bottom dead. Now that the temps are down here in California 65-72 degrees I finding no issues at all. IMG_2149.JPGIMG_2159.JPG

Which is strange because I read about the Pohoiki Hot Springs in the holy book. Temperatures there are about 98° F and they seem to do fine... both Opaes and Metas. I remember Dennis saying: "It felt like bath water!" when he described one of the pools.
 #6097  by odin

Maybe the Opae ula goes deep under ground where the water is cooler to release their young.