Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5991  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:Well I can say that Maya from Hawaii Opae Ula unfortunatley is out of business due to the volcano coming onto her property. She is no loner selling opae at this time.

I think the same with shrimpmart but not not sure. His site went down before the volcano hit his area and no updates on the Facebook site.
Whao, wonder if the Opae Ula were able to escape...
 #5992  by odin

Vorteil wrote:Well I can say that Maya from Hawaii Opae Ula unfortunatley is out of business due to the volcano coming onto her property. She is no loner selling opae at this time.

I think the same with shrimpmart but not not sure. His site went down before the volcano hit his area and no updates on the Facebook site.
His site goes up and down (opens and closes) a few times now and again.
 #6049  by Vorteil

There's no place that I know of here in the U.S. that carries the Alpha. I know there are a few LFS in Hawaii on Oahu that carry the Opae Ula still. These may be left over before the volcano & old stock. Not sure what company was selling it to them but if I were to guess it was Hawaii Opae Ula. Nobody has been able to breed the Alpha so that just contributes to being able to get them. I feel some that did sell them were just wild caught. Other than enthusiast breeding the Opae Ula the only place that breeds them in large quantities commercially is google here in California.
 #6051  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:There's no place that I know of here in the U.S. that carries the Alpha. I know there are a few LFS in Hawaii on Oahu that carry the Opae Ula still. These may be left over before the volcano & old stock. Not sure what company was selling it to them but if I were to guess it was Hawaii Opae Ula. Nobody has been able to breed the Alpha so that just contributes to being able to get them. I feel some that did sell them were just wild caught. Other than enthusiast breeding the Opae Ula the only place that breeds them in large quantities commercially is google here in California.
I remember visiting a LFS in the Hilo side of the Big Island who just got a big shipment of Opae Ula. They cost $1 but wouldn’t sell it because they just got it in. You can search for them and maybe call if they have Lohena?
 #6064  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 05 Dec 2018 23:54
Vorteil wrote:There's no place that I know of here in the U.S. that carries the Alpha. I know there are a few LFS in Hawaii on Oahu that carry the Opae Ula still. These may be left over before the volcano & old stock. Not sure what company was selling it to them but if I were to guess it was Hawaii Opae Ula. Nobody has been able to breed the Alpha so that just contributes to being able to get them. I feel some that did sell them were just wild caught. Other than enthusiast breeding the Opae Ula the only place that breeds them in large quantities commercially is google here in California.
I remember visiting a LFS in the Hilo side of the Big Island who just got a big shipment of Opae Ula. They cost $1 but wouldn’t sell it because they just got it in. You can search for them and maybe call if they have Lohena?

Meanwhile the price of Opae ula here goes up like crazy. 7 € per Opae now. :what:
 #6080  by Paulao

Algae In Space wrote: 06 Dec 2018 13:14

Meanwhile the price of Opae ula here goes up like crazy. 7 € per Opae now. :what:
Its as crazy as bitcoin. :laugh:
 #6087  by Algae In Space

Paulao wrote: 07 Dec 2018 05:46

True. One should start an Opae Coin! :grin:

Who knew... there is a shrimp coin:

#6093  by Paulao

Algae In Space wrote: 07 Dec 2018 14:26
Paulao wrote: 07 Dec 2018 05:46

True. One should start an Opae Coin! :grin:

Who knew... there is a shrimp coin:

Hey that would be a nice logo for anyone who wants to starts a opae ula business. :smile: