Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #6006  by Vorteil

He's an easy way for me to figure if my Opae's were eating or not the biofilm and the few times I fed a small amount of spirulina powder

Pics showing the poop at the bottom.

Here the opae are at the tops edge eating bilfilm.
Attachments:
poop2.jpg
poop2.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
poop1.jpg
poop1.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
poop.jpg
poop.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
tank1.JPG
tank1.JPG (29.68 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
 #6015  by Algae In Space

I am always wondering myself what the best method would be. In my old tank I just siphoned the substrate once in a while but I would always leave a little for tank balance. When you leave the poop for months or years and stir the whole thing up the water will be nicely hazy :smile:
 #6017  by odin

I tend to just leave it in my tanks :laugh:
 #6018  by Paulao

@odin a question, if you leave it and it accumulates, doesn't it foul the water? in the case where you have lots of shrimp in a tank and with no filter
 #6047  by odin

Paulao wrote:@odin a question, if you leave it and it accumulates, doesn't it foul the water? in the case where you have lots of shrimp in a tank and with no filter
I haven't witnessed any issues and the water stays healthy for me.
 #6048  by Vorteil

I just leave it. I try to not disturb the jars. I open them up one a week for air exchange only. Only one of my tanks had sand for a substrate. All the others usa small lava rocks. If you disturb the sand/gravel you could end up releasing the amonia that's trapped in there. I don't feel it will harm the opae. All my opae were fed freeze dried spirulina only at one point in time. All the tanks water is crystal clear even the tank I fed every few days. Granted the glass may look hazy due to the fact that I don't scrub it down often. The algae just build up over time. I will clean sometime this week and take new pics of the tanks only. Jars will stay the same.