Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5325  by odin

So over here in the UK we are still on a heat wave and usually my tank sits around 22 deg C (71F) but at the moment my tanks are sat at 28 - 29C (84F). The shrimp are happy so i'm not worried and keep topping off the tanks evaporation. What temperature are your tanks? Especially our American users.
 #5326  by Vorteil

I set up a 10 gallon outside. Here in Los Angeles California we've been seeing temps in the 100's. Last week the outside tank hit 96 degrees. No issues. I keep it shaded. A far as my tanks in the garage they have been at 90 degrees in the day.
 #5892  by tzg

Vorteil wrote:I set up a 10 gallon outside. Here in Los Angeles California we've been seeing temps in the 100's. Last week the outside tank hit 96 degrees. No issues. I keep it shaded. A far as my tanks in the garage they have been at 90 degrees in the day.
are they still red and breeding at 90f?
 #5893  by Vorteil

Very red still but it's too hot to breed. And that high temp was due to the piece of cardboard that sheilds the sun blew away. The outside opae will probably come into the garage in the next month or so. Trying to figure out a way to keep the tanks that are in the garage at a lower temp in the summer. Those hover anywhere from 84-88 degrees. For the winter from 70-74 degrees. Those are currently breeding.
 #5895  by tzg

i use rubber insulation mat to cover the 3 sides of my tank, only the front is exposed. however if im away for a long time i will cover the front with the matt too, and with a fan, it can bring the temp to a much lower point.
Attachments:
one_eighth_inch_thinlight-02_copy_713965ea-56b9-4af6-90f3-6a9ca3b82244.jpg
one_eighth_inch_thinlight-02_copy_713965ea-56b9-4af6-90f3-6a9ca3b82244.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
 #5896  by Arnold

My opaes and cherrys now are below 20 ºC and doing very good, the cherrys reproduction its not afected also with this temperature
 #5902  by Vorteil

@Arnold interesting...

Here's what I've been playing around with. It's the Ice probe. It lowers the temps in my 5 gallon by 6 degrees. I was at 74 & brought it down to 68 or so. I just purchased this a few weeks ago. I just stuck it on top between the glass top. I think it works great for what it is. I found 2 used/remanufactured units. This will work fine on the smaller tanks. I planning to either start a 20 gallon or 40 gallon. I have a small chiller for the 40 if I go that route. I have figured a way to pump water through it without sucking up the shrimp & babies. I still have plenty of time to get it all set up. For now my tanks are between 70-74.
Attachments:
208272-iceprobesmallaquariumchiller-c.jpg
208272-iceprobesmallaquariumchiller-c.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
 #5910  by tzg

Vorteil wrote: 28 Nov 2018 22:06 @Arnold interesting...

Here's what I've been playing around with. It's the Ice probe. It lowers the temps in my 5 gallon by 6 degrees. I was at 74 & brought it down to 68 or so. I just purchased this a few weeks ago. I just stuck it on top between the glass top. I think it works great for what it is. I found 2 used/remanufactured units. This will work fine on the smaller tanks. I planning to either start a 20 gallon or 40 gallon. I have a small chiller for the 40 if I go that route. I have figured a way to pump water through it without sucking up the shrimp & babies. I still have plenty of time to get it all set up. For now my tanks are between 70-74.

208272-iceprobesmallaquariumchiller-c.jpg
eager to see your tank setup with this chiller.!