Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5854  by Algae In Space

I saw the "Tiger Trumpet Snail (German name)" and I would love to get a filtration snail or two. But I'm not sure if they might have enough food in the water. Has anyone of you gathered experience with filtration snails?

#5855  by Arnold

I have the Piano snail Taia naticoides, I think they are close related. My piano snails love to eat the algae and biofilm of the glass, the wood, tree leaves. They are scavengers and eat all kind of vegetal matter. I have breed them succesfully, but the young have high mortality until they become juvenils, maybe its for lack of microscopic food, if you use powder spirulina sure they will eat it. You will put them in brackish? My piano are freshwater

Piano snail
 #5864  by Arnold

Yes they are filter feeders too, where you hear that the filopaludina are brackish tolerant?
 #5865  by Algae In Space

Oh boy, that's a good question! I assumed they are because they are trumpet snails and pretty much every trumpet snail I've had a look at is. But I asked a pro about this too. So let's see what he has to say :blink:
 #5867  by Arnold

I think they are strict freshwater just like my Piano snails, trumpet snail its a common name for some snail species but the Filopaludina and Taia are in the family Viviparidae, the real trumpet snails Melanoides tuberculata and Melanoides granifera are in the Thiaridae family, they are not closely related
 #5868  by Algae In Space

Arnold wrote: 20 Nov 2018 18:37 I think they are strict freshwater just like my Piano snails, trumpet snail its a common name for some snail species but the Filopaludina and Taia are in the family Viviparidae, the real trumpet snails Melanoides tuberculata and Melanoides granifera are in the Thiaridae family, they are not closely related

Very interesting. I didn't know that. I'll be cautious and wait what the pro from the store has to say... :what:
 #5881  by Arnold

Yeah, A time ago I saw in a german forum a guy with tylomelania sulawesi snail in his halocaridina tank, but I dont know if they live long in brackish or his salinity
 #5883  by Algae In Space

Arnold wrote: 23 Nov 2018 01:22 Yeah, A time ago I saw in a german forum a guy with tylomelania sulawesi snail in his halocaridina tank, but I dont know if they live long in brackish or his salinity

Oh you did? Yeah I dicidid better not to try.