Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5632  by odin

They are believed to float back out to sea and feed but replicating that in a tank and finding out what they eat has been a problem, they don’t have a yolk sac like Opae ula larvae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5635  by Algae In Space

odin wrote: 06 Nov 2018 22:19 They are believed to float back out to sea and feed but replicating that in a tank and finding out what they eat has been a problem, they don’t have a yolk sac like Opae ula larvae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see... oh well. You could put them in another tank but I guess you've already tried that... they must feed on plankton and other small critters.
 #5639  by odin

I haven't had time unfortunately, i have recently relocated my tanks and upset everything lol... Hopefully i can have a go next summer.
 #5642  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:Hi Odin. Any success with breeding? I stopped feeding mine for weeks as brown algae started to form in my tank. When I stopped feeding they also stopped being berried.
Interesting that they stopped being berried. What do you feed them again?
 #5643  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote: 06 Nov 2018 22:12
odin wrote: 06 Nov 2018 21:59 Here is when i set up their tank.. it has changed a lot since so i need to update the topic: Odin's Metabetaeus lohena (Alpha Opae ula) tank!

I have around 20 i think? I have had them for around 2.5 year i believe, They get around 4 times as big as Opae ula shrimp and their tank is the same as my Opae ula tanks, same salinity and temp etc.. no filters and i'm not sure how long they live for so i will have to document this as i go along :smile: :smile:

4 times as big :what: :cool: :omg: :upsidedown:

Ok. I thought you might use a filter because you feed em?!

They have such mega claws!! Do they really get bigger as in the image?

you can see the claws in this video.

#5644  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 07 Nov 2018 22:58
Beano wrote:Hi Odin. Any success with breeding? I stopped feeding mine for weeks as brown algae started to form in my tank. When I stopped feeding they also stopped being berried.
I used to feed them live brine shrimp and ocean nutrition brand shrimp food.
 #5645  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:
Cool. Need to try live brine shrimp one day to check it out.
 #5646  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 08 Nov 2018 04:50
Beano wrote:

Cool. Need to try live brine shrimp one day to check it out.
So you are also keeping some lohena? The live brine shrimp caused the highest rate of berrying. Almost every week, one of the 5 lohena females berried when I fed them once a week.