Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5455  by Algae In Space

Hallo!

This is a great site full of information. Thanks a lot!

But I got a question. My 20l Tank has a lot of algae. It's running for about 2 1/2 months now. My substrate is medium coral sand. I have 15 Shrimp in my tank and 3 trumpet snails. There are also a lot of gas bubbles rising from the ground. First I had the diatom I guess. Then followed the green algae. Any idea what I should do? Should I wait it out?
Attachments:
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 9656 times
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 9656 times
IMG_1724.jpg
IMG_1724.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 9656 times
 #5456  by odin

Welcome to the forum! I’m glad you are finding it useful :).

What do you feed your tank and how often? What water source did you use and what lighting/how many hours a day is it on for? Also is this near a window in your room?

I’ll be honest most people in the Opae Ula hobby wish for green algae like this although I do understand it can be annoying in large quantities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5457  by Algae In Space

The Opae Ula are not fed! They just eat the biofilm in my case. I used distilled water. It is not near a window. Lighting is about 10 hours a day. I have the LEDDY SMART 2. I guess this should not be too much light. Right? Salinity is about 1%. Thanks for your help! Yeah the algae are cool in a way. But it's growing a little too much for my taste.

By the way: The Opae Ula are not really eating the algae. They tend to eat around these areas... The snails on the other hand eat the algae. But they are slow :ow: I would need 5x the amount to get rid of the algae.
 #5458  by Algae In Space

Do you know a tiny, silent(!) skimmer with not too much water flow? I tried the Skim 250 but it's too noisy and has way too much water flow. This sucks. I haven't found the perfect solution yet.
 #5461  by Vorteil

I like it. The algea looks great and it's not hair algae. Perfect for the opae ula. It is a personal preference I guess when it comes to the algae. I think the conditions are good in the tank.
 #5463  by Algae In Space

Vorteil (vs Nachteil)

Hmm. I read a lot and watched anything I could get my hands on about Opae Ula. Funny thing - the natural habitats vary a bit. In some ponds there is orange bacterial growth. If present Opae Ula feed on that as it seems. If not they just graze around. The substrate and "furnishing" also varies. In some there are a lot of branches and leaves from palm trees. I am confused if a lot of algae are really essential. And I do not know which algae because my Opae Ulas do not eat the algae that are growing in bulk...
 #5464  by odin

What type of snails do you have in your tank and how many?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro