Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5332  by Enzo Matrix

Hi all, I have recently setup the tank and cycled the water for 2 weeks to date.

My previous smaller tank has been cycled for 2 months and biofilm has formed on the surface so I poured some of the water into the new tank together with the deco to "hasten" the tank cycling.

Currently I do see alot of biofilm forming at water surface but no algae in both new and old tank.

Are there any ways to determine when the tank is ready? Thanks
 #5333  by odin

Usually after 2 or 3 weeks you will start to get biofilm growing and a few weeks after that algae growing. Do you have a light source to help the algae to grow?

When you spot algae growth that’s usually a good indicator things are about ready, you can always add 1 shrimp and see how it gets on.. if it’s ok after a week or so then add more.

Ps. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5334  by Enzo Matrix

Heh. I was kinda expecting you to be the first to reply. I placed the tank near the window so it have indirect light source for cycling.

I have yet to see any algae spots growing. I do see a load of biofilm on the surface. Will take some photo of it when i go home.

Im about to add some lava stones and coral stones to my old tank so am cycling them together in this new tank instead of dropping them in directly.
 #5347  by Enzo Matrix

3.5 weeks into the cycle of my tank. Had added a horned nerite snail a week back.
Added a solo shrimp into the tank overnight and shrimp seems to be red and healthy. Added the rest of the 14 in.

Took out the lava stone and coral stones that I cycled together during setup and added to my ger's tank.
Attachments:
My ger's tank
My ger's tank
20180722_113534.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 26799 times
My tank
My tank
20180722_130049.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 26799 times
 #5351  by Enzo Matrix

Ceetainly hope so. They are pretty red now in my tank.

Can't say the same for my ger's as I shifted them out to add in the lava rock and coral stones from my tank. It doesnt look so good but at least I can find the shrimps. Previously using colourful stones as substrate. Couldnt find them at all. When either tank starts breeding, I might just expand the tank and transfer them over to make a proper tank.
 #5369  by opae ula related

Enzo Matrix wrote:Just spot a dead shrimp.. still bright red. Disintegrated upon me taking it out in suction tube.

The rest and the snail seems to be normal. Will monitor them for a while and do water change if more death comes.
You have a water test kit?