Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #5143  by BaileyPayne

Hey All,

Purchased another big Jar (Think I have a problem)....holds about 1.3 Gallons so a nice size. This has been going for a while, decided to post once it was pretty much there so you could see the finished thing rather than the messy starts!

All water levels are sitting pretty now. PH of about 7.7.

This is the Jars first look, with a bit of Monte Carlo...not sure what the other plant was. All based around a bit of driftwood in the centre...which was a challenge to get into the jar.

Freshwater Jar.jpg
Freshwater Jar.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 8083 times

I decided to scrap the first look after a while, I just ended up not liking it. The Monte Carlo was given to a mate and most of the other plants where too, I kept and trimmed one of them to add some bigger greenery. And planted some Dwarf sag, which hopefully will grow up nice, but I'm loving the look at the moment. Did cover the bottom of the driftwood with a moss ball too. Thought it added to the look.

IMG_20180519_160613.jpg
IMG_20180519_160613.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 8083 times

The jar currently has 1 Zebra snail and 4 Red Cherry shrimp, The shrimp joined about a week ago and seem to be doing great, The snail even offers free rides...

Shrimp.jpg
Shrimp.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 8083 times

Of course they seem to have found a favourite place to chill already.

IMG_20180519_165142.jpg
IMG_20180519_165142.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 8083 times

My most recent addition is some Frogbit just to add something to the top, hoping when the roots grow down properly it will look great.

IMG_20180523_071454.jpg
IMG_20180523_071454.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 8083 times

Let me know what you guys think!
 #5147  by Ann

I think that it looks very nice. Next to Opae Ula, Cherry Shrimp are my favorite.
Ann
 #5149  by odin

Oh wow that is awesome man! i agree with @Ann Cherry shrimp are great. What sort of water are you using for this project?
 #5152  by BaileyPayne

odin wrote: 24 May 2018 22:43 Oh wow that is awesome man! i agree with @Ann Cherry shrimp are great. What sort of water are you using for this project?
Just using Tap water with water conditioner. Hard to get the levels right for such a small amount of water, bit too much and the air stone turns it into a bubble bath which is quite hilarious.
 #5153  by BaileyPayne

Ann wrote: 24 May 2018 22:17 I think that it looks very nice. Next to Opae Ula, Cherry Shrimp are my favorite.
Ann
Thanks! They are great shrimp! Both behave in such weird ways sometimes!
 #5157  by Ann

Is that an air stone in there? Do you use filtration? Are there all males it or will they breed? I really do like the look!
Ann
 #5159  by BaileyPayne

Ann wrote: 26 May 2018 03:05 Is that an air stone in there? Do you use filtration? Are there all males it or will they breed? I really do like the look!
Ann
Yep, an airstone, in all fairness dont really need a filter, I have so much biological material, substrate and all the plants it should take care of its self. if anything shrimp don't even add to a bio load, they clean more than they waste which makes this even easier.

I honestly have no idea what genders I have, I do hope I have a mix as its always nice to see some breeding.

Thanks! Really hoping the Dwarf Sag takes well and gets a nice carpet going.