Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4475  by pentux

Will go and search for powdered spirulina in local aquariums. This morning found a dead carcass.

Wondered isit water cycling death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #4476  by odin

Oh no well that’s not a good sign, have you tested your water parameters? What type of water did you use to start your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4478  by odin

Phew! Yeah these guys moult as they grow and several times a year. You can leave the moulted skin in the tank as they will eat it for nutrients.

#4494  by pentux

ImageImageImageImageImage

First Water test results

Looks pretty fine to me.
pH level arnd 7.8
Ammonia at 0 ppm
Nitrite at 0 ppm
Nitrate between 0 - 5ppm

Does new aquarium with shrimps have such good readings after a week +? Or isit I have the help of quick start that assisted in this results?

#4495  by pentux

my spending so far.

1. Tank - $36.77 (including shipping)
2. Sea fan - $15
3. Sea weed - $2
4. Rocks - $2
5. Shrimp Net - $2
6. Ornament Cave - $9
7. Reef salt - $9
8. Marimo ball - $3
9. Substrate - $9 for 2 packs
10. Refractor - $9.12
11. Shrimp food - $8.50
12. Distilled Water - $7.20 (12 x 1.5l bottles)
13. Water test kit -$30.52 (including shipping)

Total - $143.11

Next up would be to add more shrimps to the team!
 #4501  by odin

The water results look great to me! With the Nitrate test liquid make sure you give bottle #2 a good smack and shake for a few mins as one of the main chemicals in it solidify's on the bottom of the bottle and is notorious for not giving accurate results because the lack of stuff in the bottom of the bottle not getting into the test tube. :happy:

You have done well on the shopping list too, things over here in the UK are so expensive :(
 #4503  by pentux

Hi Odin, yup been to Manchester and London before and things sure are expensive there. My brother been staying there too for quite a number of years.

Initially I did the Nitrate test without paying close attention to the vigorous shaking instructions and I had to redo it. I did shake vigorously for a good min though and not few mins. Will be doing another test next week after chinese new year to confirm my test results before throwing in more shrimps

#4513  by pentux

ImageImageImageImage

Very disappointed to find 3 shrimps died over the holidays. Fished them out and they stinked like poop. Did my water test again this morning and results doesnt look tat bad. I think there might be a little ammonia inside after they died. Not sure what is wrong. Waiting to see whether the other 2 shrimps n snail will die off. *crossing fingers*

#4514  by odin

What water did you use? If you are having things die you need to change some of your water for fresh brackish water. I’d start with at least 50%.