Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #10110  by Jonny

I keep freshwater shrimp and have a good selection of leaves (Mulberry, Guava etc) to drop in every so often.

I take it in the wild leaves and other debris will fall into the Opae Ula aquatic habitat and wondered if anyone has tried putting any in before?

Cheers
 #10111  by odin

I cant see it being an issue but just be sure it doesn't lower the PH 'too' much, it will defeat the reason to have crushed coral etc in your tank, thanks.
 #10112  by Javik

I'm curious if the tannins would raise the TDS at an elevated rate - Leaves produce tannic acid which disolve aragonite/coral/ocean-rock and releases calcium into the water, or would the tannins be neutralized by the alkaline nature of the water? Not sure on the chemistry effect.

I think there's a user here who has leaves in at least one tank at one point or another.
 #10113  by Jonny

Yeah, I wouldn't be to sure on the end water chemistry. If its not broke don't fix it, so ill just give the leaves a miss.
Javik wrote: 22 Dec 2021 15:50 I'm curious if the tannins would raise the TDS at an elevated rate - Leaves produce tannic acid which disolve aragonite/coral/ocean-rock and releases calcium into the water, or would the tannins be neutralized by the alkaline nature of the water? Not sure on the chemistry effect.

I think there's a user here who has leaves in at least one tank at one point or another.
 #10114  by Jonny

I may set up a little tester tank, more out of curiosity.

I wont put any leaves in as everything seems a happy balance within the tank.

Cheers
odin wrote: 21 Dec 2021 19:49 I cant see it being an issue but just be sure it doesn't lower the PH 'too' much, it will defeat the reason to have crushed coral etc in your tank, thanks.
 #10116  by odin

let us all know how you get on, id love some photos.