Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #10089  by solomalawi.

what salinity do you raise halocaridina?

Inviato dal mio SNE-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

#10090  by odin

1.010 to 1.013 for my tanks, seems to work well for them. :happy:
 #10091  by solomalawi.

odin wrote:1.010 to 1.013 for my tanks, seems to work well for them. :happy:
I was wondering why, I read a discussion by a breeder who said that by raising them at 1017/18 he has redder and less shy animals

#10092  by Vorteil

That is interesting. From what I've read(Dr. Scott Santos) there's nothing that can be done to increase breeding nor change the colors. I'd be curious as to what their natural ponds salinity are. I would guess that it could fluctuate from day to day based on the rise of tides.

Here's the other thing and when posted on another site really nobody commented on it. I understand that no water changes are necessary. My friend has had his tank for 17 years+ with no changes only top off. Majority of OU owners never change the water but in the wild the OU are not in stagnant pools of water. Their water I believe changes on a day to day basis. Right? If this is the case would ours do better if we did water changes from time to time? Maybe even 1-2x a year partial changes?
 #10093  by solomalawi.

Vorteil wrote:That is interesting. From what I've read(Dr. Scott Santos) there's nothing that can be done to increase breeding nor change the colors. I'd be curious as to what their natural ponds salinity are. I would guess that it could fluctuate from day to day based on the rise of tides.

Here's the other thing and when posted on another site really nobody commented on it. I understand that no water changes are necessary. My friend has had his tank for 17 years+ with no changes only top off. Majority of OU owners never change the water but in the wild the OU are not in stagnant pools of water. Their water I believe changes on a day to day basis. Right? If this is the case would ours do better if we did water changes from time to time? Maybe even 1-2x a year partial changes?
I use an air filter unlike many of you, feed 3 times a week and make changes every three months, alternating changes with only osmosis and salt water reproducing what happens in nature

#10094  by odin

its always worth adjusting your set-up to suit your situation, peoples water and tanks are always different.
 #10097  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:That is interesting. From what I've read(Dr. Scott Santos) there's nothing that can be done to increase breeding nor change the colors. I'd be curious as to what their natural ponds salinity are. I would guess that it could fluctuate from day to day based on the rise of tides.

Logically it should change day to day naturally and different for each pool. If someone wanted to, i think it is a good idea to do a small partial change but totally unnecessary just like it is unnecessary to feed them.
 #10098  by Vorteil

I did speak to someone else who breeds these and they stated that they keep their salinity at 1.015 which they felt was ideal. Interesting to see that salinity meter at 1.016 in the wild.

At what population density would you not feed at for a 6 gallon tank? If it's over 1k would you feed?
 #10099  by odin

I feed heavily maybe once or twice a month, but there are hundreds of Opae Ula in the tanks and i have snails. The large breeder tank never shows any sign of algae growth so I know I can get away with over feeding that tank.