Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #4808  by QDanT

Vorteil wrote:Want to bet you don't stop where you're at? :laugh:
The passage from the front door to the back is only 33" wide, hardly big enough for a pushbike, then it's blocked. cut a hole through to the front room and frame it, sit a tank on breeze blocks, building planks and a sheet of chipboard topped with a foam mat the stove runs the house hot water and central heating so is on every day also keeps the room warm 70F
fill tank to clean and check for leaks visit Hodge Close slate quarry tips at Coniston Lake-district, bring some back and get the angle grinder out cut a food safe plastic box lid for a tank pad and arrange in tank Jewsons builders merchants for fish friendly golden gravel £2:50 + vat = £3 per sack sleet showers outside so wash in kitchen sink with wifes sive seem to have reached upload limt so end of part one
Attachments:
08.jpg
08.jpg (122.55 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
b8pe7r.gif
b8pe7r.gif (8.27 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
07.jpg
07.jpg (107.14 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (114.88 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (124.09 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
think_1.gif
think_1.gif (1021 Bytes) Viewed 9165 times
 #4810  by QDanT

Part 2
washed gravel into tank ply board painted black on back of tank and add tap water that's as far as I've got API water conditioner to add yet and I'll get a PH buffer rock on an expedition and some reservoir wash wall driftwood if I can find the right piece
Attachments:
13.jpg
13.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 9162 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (88.73 KiB) Viewed 9162 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 9162 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (147.76 KiB) Viewed 9162 times
09.jpg
09.jpg (125.15 KiB) Viewed 9162 times
 #4811  by odin

This is going to be great!!! Have you decided what you are going to keep?

Sorry about the limit per post, it’s a security thing to stop spammers killing my forums bandwidth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4812  by QDanT

odin wrote: 29 Mar 2018 18:19 This is going to be great!!! Have you decided what you are going to keep?

Sorry about the limit per post, it’s a security thing to stop spammers killing my forums bandwidth Image
everything I've learnt so far has been from this site so in the couple of months it's going to take to cycle
I hope to get a better idea. I've not got any Opae ula yet, so at the moment don't know if you'd even be able to see them in this tank from the point of view of watching them in the front room ?
Then there's the RO water £70 to fill and it's a 50 mile round trip each time.
The single Bamboo shrimp seems to be doing fine, first 'shed' tonight so maybe this can go in the big tank along with a few other Bamboo shrimp, a few Amano shrimp and the Blue Velvet Shrimp look stunning - plenty to think about while the tank cycles
Attachments:
1st shed enl.jpg
1st shed enl.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 9156 times
1st shed.jpg
1st shed.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 9156 times
 #4814  by odin

If the RO water is going to be expensive and a pain to buy maybe you could buy a RO unit for under the kitchen sink :happy:

Somthing like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVERSE-OSMOSI ... B0052EDH68

Even better if you are not on a water meter as you do get a fair bit of waste water when producing RO, Some shrimp and fish are happy with tap water that has been treated with De-chlorinater too so that's another option.
 #4815  by QDanT

odin wrote: 29 Mar 2018 21:58 If the RO water is going to be expensive and a pain to buy maybe you could buy a RO unit for under the kitchen sink :happy:
You realise that along with Shrimp you're going to be mentioned in our Divorce :omg:
 #4816  by odin

Ahahaha the hobby is worth it! I’ve seen some get a sack trolly and put it on that and roll it out and use it in the garden to make what they needs and feed off the hose pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4817  by QDanT

odin wrote: 30 Mar 2018 14:32 Ahahaha the hobby is worth it! I’ve seen some get a sack trolly and put it on that and roll it out and use it in the garden to make what they needs and feed off the hose pipe.
OK from the little I know making 'colloidial silver' doesn't an RO unit need a higher pressure (ie pump) than the house supply ? and getting cynical with old age I can see the replacement cartridges costing more than the ones you get with the unit, then when you come to buy new ones there's a 'new improved' unit version and these don't fit the old one, or the company has been shut down or taken over and another manufacturers don't fit. If I didn't just need the initial fill I'd buy just the membrane, resin and 'bodge' a unit together out of pipe fittings here's the house water
Attachments:
House water.jpg
House water.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 9143 times
think_1.gif
think_1.gif (1021 Bytes) Viewed 9143 times
 #4818  by odin

Like i said it depends what you wish to keep, cherry shrimp can be kept on tap water and you just dump in a few caps of de-chlorintor when you do a water change.