Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #5011  by odin

Can’t wait to see what you will come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5036  by QDanT

QDanT wrote: 30 Apr 2018 22:50 Just checked the sticks in the water butt, they're waterlogged and sink without the brick
So I'll give them a good scrub tomorrow, tie the Pennywort to them and see what they look like in the tank
Mr 'Sod's Law' was busy, as the sticks were tied in a bundle, when untied the one with the most forks which was the one I wanted to tie the Pennywort to bobbed to the top :angry: So I left them a few more days, still floats, so jammed one of the fork branches into a Lava rock tunnel and tied the Pennywort to the other two sticks. Did a water check Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 5 - I'd searched the .www for Shrimps in Lancashire and found a big aquarist store advertising :- the number one shop in the North West of England in 2012, 2013 and 2014 - A huge 45ft wall of aquariums over 3 tiers - Shrimps – many varieties. So I drove there (85 mile round trip) to find No Shrimp and a scruffy shop :angry: when I challenged him about 'Shrimps – many varieties' was told they were short staffed and the web site hadn't been updated in a while, but I should have checked on Farcebook :angry: I called in at the local Pet shop on the way back and bought four Amano Shrimp to have something in the tank, they seem fine so I'll put the two Amano and the Bamboo Shrimp from the small upstairs tank in soon and maybe buy a few more Bamboo Shrimp and forget about Cherry Shrimp as I don't want to order them by mail when you cann't see what your getting
Attachments:
04.jpg
04.jpg (223.79 KiB) Viewed 8532 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (140.75 KiB) Viewed 8532 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (144.3 KiB) Viewed 8532 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (195.34 KiB) Viewed 8532 times
 #5037  by odin

That sounds a pretty shitty situation mate, have you tried pets at home? They sell Cherry shrimps and if you do go to the store i recommend buying a bogwood with plant from the shrimp tank if it has one in it as you will come away with loads of free shrimps, the baby's hide in it :happy:
 #5038  by QDanT

there's one fairly near, but ! it's like the assistants are on commision, they not only don't know anything but they will not shut up telling you what you need. When I did find someone with some sense/manners I was told they don't stock 'Cherrys' etc. as they were so small they kept getting sucked up the filter and it took too much time to get them out of the sump :what: I'm quite taken by the Armano they're not only comical but inquisitive and fearless and constantly on the go, put your hand in the tank and they're there to see what your up to :lol: It might be a challenge to try and breed them ? I've got x2 spare small tanks and have got the SG Water to Brackish to Marine worked out, just have to work on food for the hatchlings
 #5049  by QDanT

Saturday afternoon's job was emptying the upstairs tank and putting the x2 Amano and the Bamboo Shrimp
in the front room tank
01.jpg
01.jpg (195.34 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
put my hand in to pick out the Zebra Nirite snails and the Bamboo Shrimp swam over and latched onto my finger :what:
lifted hand out and put it into tupper ware container of tank water where it eventually let go, the Amano Shrimp thought the net was a good game :grin3: eventually they were in too, aclimatised in front room tank and it was the same with the Bamboo Shrimp hanging on my finger to be put in the tank, when I shook it about it gripped tighter.
So 300 ltr. tank I don't think youd see Opae ula in it as it was hard work to find the two new Armano
together.jpg
together.jpg (136.18 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
but spotted them together in the big cave, they've a more pronounced back stripe than the four already in
but didn't spot the Bamboo Shrimp
 #5051  by odin

I wouldn’t worry too much, shrimp love to hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5067  by QDanT

Tuesday 8-5-18 update
01.jpg
01.jpg (209.93 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
the Pennywort is growing,
02.jpg
02.jpg (155.42 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
and the Bamboo Shrimp was hiding because there was a shed skin in the tank this morning and it's about again.
I'd had the Lava rocks and filter from the upstairs tank , in quarantine a few days to check for Snails, seemed free so put them in for their Bacteria load
03.jpg
03.jpg (94.81 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
and added a double sponge filter at the other end
04.jpg
04.jpg (135.87 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
the middle slate cave roof being near the surface, and light, was growing Algae untill the Amano and Zebra Nerite Snails found it, it's now polished clean the Zebra Snails have moved onto the Brown Algae and the Amanos are hanging about waiting
05.jpg
05.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
 #5069  by odin

This looks to be coming along nicely indeed, If its Nerite snails you have then you wont need to worry about them breeding in freshwater.
 #5073  by QDanT

odin wrote: 08 May 2018 18:49 This looks to be coming along nicely indeed, If its Nerite snails you have then you wont need to worry about them breeding in freshwater.
Yes the two Zebra Nerite Snails which were originally in the Opae ula tank, where they started to eat the Algae faster than it was growing :what: the Lava rocks and filter from the Bamboo Shrimp tank were in quarantine because in the begining, not knowing, I put two Red Ramshorn Snails in which was a big mistake as every time I went in there were more and more :omg: if I saw one I took it out but I couldn't keep up so put all I could find in a sweet jar of tank water in my shed
03.jpg
03.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
when I emptied the tank the gravel was about 25% snails, hence the Lava rock filter quarantine.
The Bamboo Shrimp has found it's favourite spot and spends hours hanging under the branch feeding in the current from the filter.
01.JPG
01.JPG (153.04 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
I rigged up a spot feeder for it from a glass pipette piece of air line tube and a syringe
02.JPG
02.JPG (100.9 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
one jar is Spirulina the other Bee pollen, the Amano Shrimp scavenge any left over, in the shed I've one of the small tanks in Sunshine with sheets of glass in tank water growing an Algae film to rotate into the tank and I've also got a couple of Indian Almond leaves soaking.
 #5078  by QDanT

It's all about making it easier :grin:
from the post above, it was OK making a 'spot feeder' for the Bamboo Shrimp but not using it, as the tank was covered in two sheets of broken glass an old TV front glass and a glass cabinet door :what:
01.jpg
01.jpg (141.17 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
I bought a 20mm diamond core drill and x5 pieces of 4mm glass from the local Builders Merchant this morning and drilled a hole in the center of each
02.jpg
02.jpg (216.48 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
this gives me a finger hole to add/remove each sheet
04.jpg
04.jpg (124.45 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
and also a hole to do water pipette checks and 'spot feed the Bamboo Shrimp through
03.jpg
03.jpg (96.44 KiB) Viewed 8464 times