Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Anything and everything not related to Opae ula can go here!
 #5082  by QDanT

Observation
Passing the Pet shop, with tanks, yesterday I bought another six Amano Shrimp, aclimatised and put them in.
Before they had chance to scuttle of and hide ! the other six came out of hiding and joined them :grin3:
They all stayed out exploring the tank, feeding, playing in the bubbles :lol:
e.jpg
e.jpg (164.88 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
They were all out, and stayed out, when I put the lights on this morning I think it's a 'safety in numbers' thing
'being part of a group makes you less likely to be harmed'
The Bamboo Shrimp was in it's place under the branch and when I spot fed it the Amano's were soon there
feeding.jpg
feeding.jpg (204.95 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
 #5083  by opae ula related

QDanT wrote:Observation
Passing the Pet shop, with tanks, yesterday I bought another six Amano Shrimp, aclimatised and put them in.
Before they had chance to scuttle of and hide ! the other six came out of hiding and joined them :grin3:
They all stayed out exploring the tank, feeding, playing in the bubbles :lol:
e.jpg
They were all out, and stayed out, when I put the lights on this morning I think it's a 'safety in numbers' thing
'being part of a group makes you less likely to be harmed'
The Bamboo Shrimp was in it's place under the branch and when I spot fed it the Amano's were soon there
feeding.jpg
Interesting observation!! I think you are right.
 #5091  by QDanT

It might be a 300 ltr. + tank but x12 Amano Shrimp, x1 Bamboo Shrimp and x2 Zebra Nerite Snails are eating the Algae faster than it's growing, spot the Bamboo Shrimp :what: it lives here in the filter outflow
zz.jpg
zz.jpg (140 KiB) Viewed 9337 times
I've put one of the small tanks on a sunny windowsill added some Baby Bio plant food and cut some glass to grow Algae on, with the idea being to cycle them one at a time into the big tank as an Algae food source :grin3:
xx.jpg
xx.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 9337 times
xxx.jpg
xxx.jpg (199.32 KiB) Viewed 9337 times
There's a piece of Ocean rock (Limestone) in as well, which I'll transfer to a glass sweet jar with SG 1.010 RO water when the Algae starts to grow, then hang it near the top of the Opae ula tank, as another resting/exploring place as it's a tall tank and they spend allot of time swimming about at the top. Work in progress :wink:
 #5098  by odin

Great photos! Yeah the Opea ula will go to the top to feed off algae you drop in and bio film on the surface, that's how i fed them and they reacted to the food in my tanks.
 #5130  by QDanT

Amano shrimp are fearless and funny :grin3:
once a week I do a 10% water change in the front room tank
01.jpg
01.jpg (195.34 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
I start by turning the heater off then syphon into the backyard water butt, to use on the plants, there can be not a shrimp in sight but as soon as the hose goes in 'Playtime' and all 12 are out
I think the game is who can be sucked up the hose first :what: with the water lowered I have a clean up round the tank they swarm round my hand as I go to pick the glass feeding dish up and there's 6 in it,
tip them out, under water, and there all over my fingers.
I add x2 drops of API tap water conditioner to each glass wine demi john then keep them on the stairs for a week to gass off and come up to temperature
water stairs.jpg
water stairs.jpg (298 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
then the next game starts as I pour each demi john in they're trying to swim up the water and into the jar, they think it's a great game, Mrs QDanT doesn't like the demi johns on the stairs
b8pe7r.gif
b8pe7r.gif (8.27 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
I just 'shrug' and blame it on Odin
laugh.gif
laugh.gif (33.31 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
when spot feeding the Bamboo shrimp they're all out for any bits it misses, if they get too near it kicks them with a back leg, another game
in bubbles.jpg
in bubbles.jpg (193.43 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
 #5131  by odin

LOL i take full responsibility for angry spouses in this hobby :laugh:

Yeah shrimp definitely have some personality that's for sure and its cool yours are as tame as that too! Do you vacuum the substrate now and again? i suppose you don't really need to get that deep cleaning with the sparse feeding, when i had fish i has to constantly gravel vac the substrate.