Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5320  by Halocaridina

Here is what the tank looks like right now. Some more diatom growth on the rock and hair algae growth at the back, in the corners and on the sea fan.

One of the baby shrimp.
 #5321  by odin

It still looks a lot better then when you first had issues though, just stay on top of it and keep plucking out the hair algae.
 #5375  by Halocaridina

I trimmed back the chaeto on Friday but accidentally left the lid off the tank. Went back just now and found a nerite on the floor. Did not smell strongly so I put it back in the tank, but I have no idea how many days it was out for. Hopefully it comes back to life - been about 20 mins so far and no sign of movement. :grimacing:
 #5376  by opae ula related

Halocaridina wrote:I trimmed back the chaeto on Friday but accidentally left the lid off the tank. Went back just now and found a nerite on the floor. Did not smell strongly so I put it back in the tank, but I have no idea how many days it was out for. Hopefully it comes back to life - been about 20 mins so far and no sign of movement. :grimacing:
Hope it survives. I do this with my Betta fishes several times. One I never found...
 #5377  by Halocaridina

Seems to be extending its tentacles out periodically but not moving much. Moved about an inch or so from where it was yesterday. It is good to know it is not dead yet but still hoping it makes a full recovery.
 #5485  by Halocaridina

I checked on the tank again today. More baby shrimp swimming around so they seem happy. A lot of dark red algae growing between the heater and the chaeto - removed a clump but still a lot there. Plus a lot of dead organic matter on the bottom of the tank, which I made a dent in with a quick gravel vac but a lot still left out there.
 #5609  by Halocaridina

This is what the tank looks like right now. Lots of red thread algae growing near the heater, plus general gunk at the bottom of the tank I need to remove.

I also noticed this shrimp. Is it common for shrimp to change coloration in the middle?
 #5612  by odin

Yup some Opae Ula shrimp do have clear bands, they pass this along to young too.