Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #9307  by amsyar_haziq

Hi i am from singapore ! Started an interest in this hobby , 4 weeks ago bought an ecosystem setup with 6 opae ula and decided to set up a 14 litre tank for them.

Readings

Ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite 0.25-0.5
Nitrates definately higher than 160

Messed up by putting dr tims ammonium chloride alittle too muchImage

Should i do a water change now or wait till my ammonia and nitrite hits 0

Found some white/ greenish spots on water surface after i moved the gravel around are those algae ?ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#9308  by odin

Welcome to the forum! That tank is great and I’m sure the shrimps will love it! :smile:

With the water I’d do a 50% water change to bring that nitrate down and just wait until Ammonia and nitrites show zero.. when they do then do another large water change to bring the nitrates down to 5.0 or less.

Bringing the nitrates down while the tank is cycling will speed up the cycling process, don’t worry about the bacteria as it will mostly be in your substrate and not the water so it’s not counter productive.

If you need any more help just ask. :happy: :happy:
 #9314  by amsyar_haziq

Hey ! Yup i bought it from tampines , did you bought yours from there too? not a big fan of the formula water that they are selling though, they say it is the water your have to use to top up your evapourated water ,
i know there is one shop at macpherson called Green chapter sells opae ula cheaper

#9315  by amsyar_haziq

pentux wrote:Hi haziq,
Singapore keeper here too. Welcome to the club. Did you get your opae from tampines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey ! Yup i bought it from tampines , did you bought yours from there too? not a big fan of the formula water that they are selling though, they say it is the water your have to use to top up your evapourated water ,
Image i know there is one shop at macpherson called Green chapter sells opae ula cheaper

#9316  by pentux

amsyar_haziq wrote:Hey ! Yup i bought it from tampines , did you bought yours from there too? not a big fan of the formula water that they are selling though, they say it is the water your have to use to top up your evapourated water ,
Image i know there is one shop at macpherson called Green chapter sells opae ula cheaper

Ya I dont like the way he try to sell products. Like his water is made of “gold”. I went there to get some “vitamins” and “special powder” to boost fertility. Mayb you were there too as I saw someone buying a small setup from him.

I have been using distilled water for the longest time and my shrimps are still alive, except slow down breeding

#9317  by pentux

amsyar_haziq wrote:
pentux wrote:Hi haziq,
Singapore keeper here too. Welcome to the club. Did you get your opae from tampines?

Planning to go green chapter get some kit probably tomorrow for my freshwater tank

#9318  by amsyar_haziq

pentux wrote:
amsyar_haziq wrote:Hey ! Yup i bought it from tampines , did you bought yours from there too? not a big fan of the formula water that they are selling though, they say it is the water your have to use to top up your evapourated water ,

Ya I dont like the way he try to sell products. Like his water is made of “gold”. I went there to get some “vitamins” and “special powder” to boost fertility. Mayb you were there too as I saw someone buying a small setup from him.

I have been using distilled water for the longest time and my shrimps are still alive, except slow down breeding

Just pity the people who dont research on it , i asked him if its compulsory to buy it ,even with the knowledge that it is just distilled water and maybe some bacteria, he said if you want to use your own water that is your responsibility if it kills the shrimp not my problem. $20-30 dollars for that water is a NO NO for me haha but well business is business Image

Will go green chapter soon Image, just nearby my office

#9319  by amsyar_haziq

odin wrote:Welcome to the forum! That tank is great and I’m sure the shrimps will love it! Image

With the water I’d do a 50% water change to bring that nitrate down and just wait until Ammonia and nitrites show zero.. when they do then do another large water change to bring the nitrates down to 5.0 or less.

Bringing the nitrates down while the tank is cycling will speed up the cycling process, don’t worry about the bacteria as it will mostly be in your substrate and not the water so it’s not counter productive.

If you need any more help just ask. :happy: :happy:
What is the PH range for opae ula ! Is 7.5-8.5 the range that is for them?