Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6329  by Melijayne

Thank you @odin and @Algae In Space !!

I haven't seen him since yesterday night, I've looked everywhere (from the outside) and I can't see him anywhere, but also no bodies on the gravel either.

If it has molted, he could be hiding inside the lava rock, right?

Right guys???!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope he isn't dead :cry: :cry:
 #6330  by odin

When they moult their new exoskeleton is soft and the shrimp hide for protection, I wouldn’t be worried. They moult every now and again when they grow in size but can also stress moult when being moved tank to tank or when introduced to new water that has slightly different water parameters. Just don’t be tempted to go moving the rocks to find it as you may squash them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #6331  by Melijayne

Phew! No I wasn't going to start moving Tuff around and fishing for him.

At least it's put my mind at ease now. If I don't see him in the next few days I will start worrying again! :laugh: :laugh:
 #6332  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 26 Dec 2018 12:57 Thank you @odin and @Algae In Space !!

I haven't seen him since yesterday night, I've looked everywhere (from the outside) and I can't see him anywhere, but also no bodies on the gravel either.

If it has molted, he could be hiding inside the lava rock, right?

Right guys???!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope he isn't dead :cry: :cry:

No worries! I'm sure he will be ok! :sidesmile: It could very well be that he is just hiding!
 #6352  by Melijayne

So I haven't seen little Prawn Connery since Christmas day afternoon and he was behaving "wierd".

I've checked the water levels, all good, not even a spike in ammonia.

The snail is still eating and the other two and just eating and leisurely shrimping about!

I haven't found a body, and I don't want to start moving the tank or the rocks as I don't want to scare or hurt the others. If he has moulted, how long would he typically hide for?

Also is it normal for the water to start smelling? I can see it's gone kinda hazy and murky with a lot of film on the top, so much so that the snail has a coating on his back from when he breaks the surface.

Is this all normal? Apologies if this is just basic stuff.

God help my first child if I worry this much over a shrimp!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 #6353  by odin

Yeah its normal as your tank water is maturing and the haze is a bacteria bloom which will last a while but will clear up on its own. What water and salt did you use in the tank?
 #6355  by Melijayne

odin wrote: 28 Dec 2018 18:06 Yeah its normal as your tank water is maturing and the haze is a bacteria bloom which will last a while but will clear up on its own. What water and salt did you use in the tank?

The guy from the aquatic store mixed it for me to make brackish water as they have it on tap there. It was and is still measuring 1.012sg
 #6356  by odin

That's ok as long as he used RO water and marine salt, or just watered down marine water with RO.... Just wait it out and im sure all will be ok.
 #6357  by odin

Melijayne wrote:
odin wrote: 28 Dec 2018 18:06 Yeah its normal as your tank water is maturing and the haze is a bacteria bloom which will last a while but will clear up on its own. What water and salt did you use in the tank?

The guy from the aquatic store mixed it for me to make brackish water as they have it on tap there. It was and is still measuring 1.012sg

I will be honest, if you dont contaminate their water, use RO water and marine salt, and dose biodigest every week you cant go wrong lol. I'm probably going to get slated for that information lol.
 #6412  by Algae In Space

Melijayne wrote: 28 Dec 2018 18:01 So I haven't seen little Prawn Connery since Christmas day afternoon and he was behaving "wierd".

I've checked the water levels, all good, not even a spike in ammonia.

The snail is still eating and the other two and just eating and leisurely shrimping about!

I haven't found a body, and I don't want to start moving the tank or the rocks as I don't want to scare or hurt the others. If he has moulted, how long would he typically hide for?

Also is it normal for the water to start smelling? I can see it's gone kinda hazy and murky with a lot of film on the top, so much so that the snail has a coating on his back from when he breaks the surface.

Is this all normal? Apologies if this is just basic stuff.

God help my first child if I worry this much over a shrimp!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey Melijayne. Any updates? How are they doing? Have you found your lost Opae? :grin3: