Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp and Macroalgae via our eBay store HERE
Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6011  by Paulao
 04 Dec 2018 09:06
@odin Thanks for the info man. Appreciates. I'm kinda impatience on the waiting part. :laugh:
 #6012  by odin
 04 Dec 2018 15:04
You can do it the other way around and add them strait away without adding any ammonia and having completely clean water from the start but you will need to test the water constantly and be prepared to do water changes to lower the ammonia and Nitrites etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #6021  by Paulao
 04 Dec 2018 19:02
odin wrote: 04 Dec 2018 15:04 You can do it the other way around and add them strait away without adding any ammonia and having completely clean water from the start but you will need to test the water constantly and be prepared to do water changes to lower the ammonia and Nitrites etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll probably use this method for my Alpha new tank. I'm halfway throughout the ammonia/nitrite stage now. :laugh:
 #6111  by Paulao
 10 Dec 2018 01:30
Updates on my tank, still cycling but halfway there. Algaes are growing wild everywhere on glass and rocks, although there are brown colours now but i'm happy to see so
much algae growing.

Ammonia remains at zero,
Nitrite at 1.0ppm "patiently waiting for it to turn to nitrate, understood it takes a longer time"
Nitrate at 10ppm (Huge drop from 80ppm 2days ago)
Water Temp at 28 degrees

2 question, if you can see my black lava rock on the left is lik 3/4 of tank height, if on a later day when i do lets say a 50% water change and that would expose half of my top lava rock to air and not submerge under water for like a good 10minutes, would it be a issue like bacteria/algae will die?

2) If my Nitrate is below 5ppm when nitrite is down to 0, is water change still required?
Attachments
Test result-min.jpg
Test result-min.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 29 times
Algae on glass-min.jpg
Algae on glass-min.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 29 times
Algae on carbonate rock-min.jpg
Algae on carbonate rock-min.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 29 times
tzg liked this
 #6112  by Acit
 10 Dec 2018 02:03
Paulao wrote:@odin Thanks Odin. gonna load some updates.

-5 days after last water test with ammonia 2ppm, nitrate & nitrite 0ppm, got some new test result earlier on.

-PH stays at 8.5
-Ammonia stays at 2ppm,
-Nitrate spike to 5.0ppm,
-Nitrite spike to 0.25ppm

I think bacteria is building well. No signs of algae growth yet. So usually how do you guys decide like "now is the time to put in the shrimps?"
Is it like only when algae is established ? i understand that with high spike of nitrate, algae would grow naturally, any guidelines on how high should nitrate reach (eg. 20ppm etc) before parameters are ready for water changes / ready for shrimp input?

@Algae In Space Totally Agreed. I'm addicted to them now.. Image well an "animal person" sounds like a happy person to me.. Anyway I've participated in your questionnaire few weeks back. Nice set of question which got me to realise some "answers" which i needed for myself.
Nice setup. Love those rocks & corals. I can't wait to see the arrival of the residents in there : )
 #6116  by Paulao
 10 Dec 2018 02:41
Acit wrote: 10 Dec 2018 02:03
Paulao wrote:@odin Thanks Odin. gonna load some updates.

-5 days after last water test with ammonia 2ppm, nitrate & nitrite 0ppm, got some new test result earlier on.

-PH stays at 8.5
-Ammonia stays at 2ppm,
-Nitrate spike to 5.0ppm,
-Nitrite spike to 0.25ppm

I think bacteria is building well. No signs of algae growth yet. So usually how do you guys decide like "now is the time to put in the shrimps?"
Is it like only when algae is established ? i understand that with high spike of nitrate, algae would grow naturally, any guidelines on how high should nitrate reach (eg. 20ppm etc) before parameters are ready for water changes / ready for shrimp input?

@Algae In Space Totally Agreed. I'm addicted to them now.. Image well an "animal person" sounds like a happy person to me.. Anyway I've participated in your questionnaire few weeks back. Nice set of question which got me to realise some "answers" which i needed for myself.
Nice setup. Love those rocks & corals. I can't wait to see the arrival of the residents in there : )
@Acit Me too. Having a hard time holding my itchy hands back from being impatient and making the no moves. e.g. putting in shrimps before it cycling is done.. :cool:
 #6120  by Algae In Space
 10 Dec 2018 13:24
Paulao wrote: 10 Dec 2018 02:41
Acit wrote: 10 Dec 2018 02:03
Paulao wrote:@odin Thanks Odin. gonna load some updates.

-5 days after last water test with ammonia 2ppm, nitrate & nitrite 0ppm, got some new test result earlier on.

-PH stays at 8.5
-Ammonia stays at 2ppm,
-Nitrate spike to 5.0ppm,
-Nitrite spike to 0.25ppm

I think bacteria is building well. No signs of algae growth yet. So usually how do you guys decide like "now is the time to put in the shrimps?"
Is it like only when algae is established ? i understand that with high spike of nitrate, algae would grow naturally, any guidelines on how high should nitrate reach (eg. 20ppm etc) before parameters are ready for water changes / ready for shrimp input?

@Algae In Space Totally Agreed. I'm addicted to them now.. Image well an "animal person" sounds like a happy person to me.. Anyway I've participated in your questionnaire few weeks back. Nice set of question which got me to realise some "answers" which i needed for myself.
Nice setup. Love those rocks & corals. I can't wait to see the arrival of the residents in there : )
@Acit Me too. Having a hard time holding my itchy hands back from being impatient and making the no moves. e.g. putting in shrimps before it cycling is done.. :cool:

I just "threw" them in on day one :smile: . You need good lighting for mucho algae - that's my experience.
 #6122  by Paulao
 10 Dec 2018 13:32
@Algae In Space did you "threw" them in when water parameters are still cycling? :lol:
 #6123  by Algae In Space
 10 Dec 2018 17:51
Sure did! First and second tank as well. In the second tank I use Microbe Lift Special Blend since day one according to instructions. Had diatom and green algae in first tank. Still no diatom in sight in the second tank. Will reduce the Special Blend after the first phase and see if algae will come. I'm in no rush.

Image
 #6126  by odin
 10 Dec 2018 18:46
Looking good, when your nitrites are at zero do a large water change to reduce the Nitrates as much as you can then put the shrimp in. With the tank being cycled you shouldn't need to do any water changes to expose the rock but if you have to then i wouldn't be worried about 10 minutes out of the water myself.