Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp and Macroalgae via our eBay store HERE
Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5858  by Algae In Space
 20 Nov 2018 00:25
So I bought a new tank:

Filled it with coral gravel but I'm bored by it cause I want a contrast to my first tank. Now I'm thinking either sand or volcanic gravel... Finer sand would be a nice contrast to rough lava rock.

What do you guys think? Sand and Opaes - does it go together?

And what should I put in to buffer the water a little for the snails and the Opaes instead of coral? Are these mineral cubes any good?
 #5860  by QDanT
 20 Nov 2018 10:46
OK this is 'tongue in cheek' but having nothing for scale, the first thing I thought of was Malt Whiskey :what:
but come on the Opae have to live in this for 25 years and your Bored.
I try and make my tank as entertaining, think Playground, as possible.
Sand and a few Mieral Cubes doesn't sound very entertaining for them.
30-4-18.jpg
30-4-18.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 207 times
I added an 'ocean rock' with tunnels at the top for somewhere for them to rest and explore
tank.jpg
tank.jpg (207 KiB) Viewed 207 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.4 KiB) Viewed 207 times
 #5861  by Algae In Space
 20 Nov 2018 13:34
QDanT wrote: 20 Nov 2018 10:46 OK this is 'tongue in cheek' but having nothing for scale, the first thing I thought of was Malt Whiskey :what:
but come on the Opae have to live in this for 25 years and your Bored.
I try and make my tank as entertaining, think Playground, as possible.
Sand and a few Mieral Cubes doesn't sound very entertaining for them.
30-4-18.jpg
I added an 'ocean rock' with tunnels at the top for somewhere for them to rest and explore
tank.jpg
1.jpg

That's true and I got the bottle to match the glass!

You're not up to speed :laugh: I already talked about my new tank project on other topics. This is just a continuation.

Please, no lectures... this is the "friendly community forum" after all. I am not bored of my Opaes, I'm bored of the coral gravel after I tried it in my new tank and want to try something new now because I already got it in my first tank. Never did I say that I only want to use just sand and mineral cubes...? :laugh:

In fact there is not even a lot of context needed to just read my post correctly :sidesmile: The questions were very specific. Why don't you ask me when you're uncertain about it or inform yourself beforehand instead of being judgmental?
 #5862  by QDanT
 20 Nov 2018 15:04
Algae In Space wrote: 20 Nov 2018 13:34
QDanT wrote: 20 Nov 2018 10:46 OK this is 'tongue in cheek' but having nothing for scale, the first thing I thought of was Malt Whiskey :what:
That's true and I got the bottle to match the glass!

I liked your 'perfect' photo reply but not your lecture to me

[/quote]
Please, no lectures... this is the "friendly community forum" after all. I am not bored of my Opaes, I'm bored of the coral gravel after I tried it in my new tank and want to try something new now because I already got it in my first tank. Never did I say that I only want to use just sand and mineral cubes...? :laugh:
In fact there is not even a lot of context needed to just read my post correctly :sidesmile: The questions were very specific. Why don't you ask me when you're uncertain about it or inform yourself beforehand instead of being judgmental?
[/quote]

I take it you don't under stand 'tongue in cheek' :tongue: and to be honest I don't give a **it !
 #5866  by Algae In Space
 20 Nov 2018 18:20
Downvoting me is a nice childish touch Mr.

Ok. Let's go evidence based: Where in my original post do I state that I got bored of my Opaes? Please find and quote. Do you have this much integrity?

PS: Your "tongue in cheek" was related to the whisky glass like tank.
 #5876  by odin
 22 Nov 2018 17:59
Now..Now lol, how much water does this new tank hold?
 #5884  by Algae In Space
 24 Nov 2018 19:16
odin wrote: 22 Nov 2018 17:59 Now..Now lol, how much water does this new tank hold?

About 21 l, it's 30 cm x 30 cm

Tank already filled with substrate (mix of sand and a bit of coral gravel) and lava. I like it.

Mr. QDanT: Are we enemies now? :blush: Nuclear arsenal and all? Let's settle the dispute. You lectured me - I lectured you - we're even. I was just amazed by how much you misinterpreted my post and started a rant about how bored I should be according to you. Aloha.

#5886  by Paulao
 25 Nov 2018 00:57
@Algae In Space Any pictures? Curious how it would look like for a cylinder tank :smile:
 #5897  by Algae In Space
 28 Nov 2018 15:39
Paulao wrote: 25 Nov 2018 00:57 @Algae In Space Any pictures? Curious how it would look like for a cylinder tank :smile:

I'm super happy with the new tank so far :blush:

Put in the sand mixed with coral gravel, the lava (drilled some holes into the larger boulders) and one of the algae balls. There are 6 little Opaes and three snails in there so far. The rest will follow in a while. I will also put a Microsorum pteropus "Philippine" in there. It's a java farn type that naturally grows in brackish waters. And so far it seems to do fine. :grin3:

I'm surprised by how much larger the rocks look like due to the water/tank distortion. But I love it. :upsidedown: It looks even cooler when you stand in front of it compared to the photo.
Attachments
IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG (355.39 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Last edited by Algae In Space on 29 Nov 2018 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
tzg liked this
 #5900  by odin
 28 Nov 2018 17:19
Oh that’s cool! Keep us up to date on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro