Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #8424  by tzg

it's been awhile since my last post, tank is breeding well, i guess my tank population has nearly doubled from the original 45, it is not crowded to the extent a size upgrade is needed.

i have 2 nerite snails but i do not think they are capable enough to savor all the algae and keep the tank clean like this. I leave my lights on for 12hrs but no algae is growing, is there any ways to grow algae? I would love to see a green carpet covering up the rocks.

I cannot wait to build a new bigger tank end of next year and add more opaes then! :laugh:
Hope all the forumers and opaes are doing well in their life and tank! :happy:
Attachments:
tank2.jpeg
tank2.jpeg (218.13 KiB) Viewed 7938 times
 #8426  by Vorteil

There's only one way to get all that green algae. You need to feed the tank. Without a lot of food the alage won't grow. Needs a food source. That's what I did.
IMG_8564.JPG
IMG_8564.JPG (61.63 KiB) Viewed 7932 times
IMG_6657.JPG
IMG_6657.JPG (46.35 KiB) Viewed 7932 times
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG (61.06 KiB) Viewed 7932 times
 #8427  by tzg

@Vorteil, totally love your green carpet!!! may i ask what do you feed the tank with?
 #8429  by tzg

can i feed the shrimps with spirulina powder for human?
Attachments:
download (1).png
download (1).png (853.1 KiB) Viewed 7928 times
 #8430  by odin

You can so long as it’s pure and has no additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8431  by tzg

@odin, thanks odin, will be getting it later and feed the tank tonight, cant wait to see my tank green! :laugh:

@Vorteil , may i know what is your feeding schedule like?
 #8432  by tzg

the tank is livelier now, good to see them everywhere on the rock, hope to have green mountain soon :grin2:
Attachments:
spirulina feed.jpeg
spirulina feed.jpeg (237.52 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
 #8436  by Vorteil

As Odian said any pure spirulina for human consumption. I use this one. You will have to feed 3x a week. The water stays clean and clear. I probably did this for 2 months? Can't remember since it's been awhile. You can feed even less but give it time. Remeber the more food the alage has the more it grows. A problem I ran into was hair algae. That's when I had to stop feeding & had to manually pull it out. I did do a water change in the tank that's shown here. I don't feed anymore but the algae has maintained itself.

The middle pic is algae that came from Hawaii. This is the only tank that I have it in so far.
 #8439  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:As Odian said any pure spirulina for human consumption. I use this one. You will have to feed 3x a week. The water stays clean and clear. I probably did this for 2 months? Can't remember since it's been awhile. You can feed even less but give it time. Remeber the more food the alage has the more it grows. A problem I ran into was hair algae. That's when I had to stop feeding & had to manually pull it out. I did do a water change in the tank that's shown here. I don't feed anymore but the algae has maintained itself.

The middle pic is algae that came from Hawaii. This is the only tank that I have it in so far.
Re- middle pic, how long did you have it for? where did you purchase and name? : )