Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6801  by Vorteil

Here's my 2 cents. I would just start with a jar with new water. Maybe there's something in your tank's waters that are affecting the babies not not the adults. While this is going on you can set up a simple tank with new rocks, take some algae scrapings to jump start the algae. This is what Odin's done. He has separate tanks for the babies.

a rock that is covered with algae. I like this. This is all I would do but you have no idea what may be killing the babies then don't transfer anything.

a small amount of moss ball, that has a bunch of filament algae I got from Oden. Not necessary. Keep it simple.

added mulm from the tank floor. Not necessary. Keep it simple

scraped some of the algae off the tank 3 wall and put it in to the jar. Not necessary.

added crushed food and Spirulina. The babies have a food sac and don't eat for some time. This evenually will just pollute the water even if you try to get out the uneaten food.

3 bacteria balls- not necessary
 #6802  by odin

I agree with @Vorteil , you need to keep it simple. Before you make decisions and changes you need to test your water quality and post your water type and salinity etc. The larvae indeed do not need human intervention or feeding as they use their on board yolk sac for food. If your babies are dying then your water quality is wrong for them, Opae ula are hardy shrimp and can tolerate bad water conditions up to a point but their young are quite sensitive.
 #6809  by zlatan2601

Yeah, but currently i am not sure that my larvae died. I saw two diead larvae (at least i think i did), but the last week i have observed at least 3 mini shrimps. They are so small, I think they are 'new' and are grown larvae. But I am not sure how fast these grow so difficult to estimate. But ly tann is 4 weeks old, i saw larvae for one week and after i didn't see any larvae anymore. So these died or they were hidden and are grown now to tiny shrimps now...

Guess i will need to buy a water quality test kit...
 #6810  by odin

Take a look at one of my guides: page/breeding-opae-ula-shrimp?sid=5c38a ... 834e68d128

It shows the stages and how long each one lasts for, I agree it’s always worth testing water with a salt water master test kit when you want answers :) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #6813  by zlatan2601

2-3 weeks, guess some of them died and some of them are grown now. I have salinity meter and pH is ok, plus i use coral as substrate and only lava stone and dragon stone. There were stones and water added from an established tank. Guess I will leave the tank as it is and evaluate again when i have new larvae :)

Thanks for the feedback!
 #6815  by thecollector

For me, the jar I set up is working.

My goal is to have a repeatable process for the baby's, that I can use for all 3 main tanks. As I want to keep them as separate strains for the time being; to also get the numbers up. Long term is to hopefully see if the Opae actually do live for 10+ years.
 #6816  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:For me, the jar I set up is working.

My goal is to have a repeatable process for the baby's, that I can use for all 3 main tanks. As I want to keep them as separate strains for the time being; to also get the numbers up. Long term is to hopefully see if the Opae actually do live for 10+ years.
Do you plan to keep one in a jar to test if they live 10+ years?
 #6818  by thecollector

I don't know about just keeping a single Opae by its self.

But maybe taking the baby's that I have now and putting them in a biscotti jar - I've seen 6.2L ones that look promising.

The only issue will be removing the babies they have, so as to keep track of just the adults.

At the moment I’m focusing on numbers, as I really want to see if the offspring of my jumbos (Tank 3 Opae) also grow as large.
 #6819  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:I don't know about just keeping a single Opae by its self.

But maybe taking the baby's that I have now and putting them in a biscotti jar - I've seen 6.2L ones that look promising.

The only issue will be removing the babies they have, so as to keep track of just the adults.

At the moment I’m focusing on numbers, as I really want to see if the offspring of my jumbos (Tank 3 Opae) also grow as large.
I guess that is one way is to keep removing the babies. Forgot where I saw this, but someone had Opae Ula in a Ecosphere that didnt produce and had it for 20+ years.