Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5441  by tzg

ok thank u! am considering to add more shrimps to the tank, will do this after the tank is cycled. :grin:
 #5450  by tzg

not sure why there are so many snail poops, they are all over the tank. Are they part of the reason why ammonia is high in the tank now?
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-11 at 00.03.57.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-11 at 00.03.57.jpeg (142.17 KiB) Viewed 8592 times
 #5451  by Vorteil

It could be the cause of the amonia spike. Looks like the tank is cycling. The sand is geeting a hint of brown to it. The marimo ball there. Is it supposed to look or get that way. Looks like there's hair algae starting to form all over? If the marimo is not a true brackish ball I would not keep it in there. As far as the amonia I would not worry about it. The opae are really hardy.
 #5452  by odin

Looks like shrimp poop to me, have you got the means to change out some of the water for fresh brackish water? This will lower your ammonia while the tank finishes it’s cycle and in turn will remove the ammonia its self.

Can you get biodigest where you live? That stuff is great for this type of situation.
 #5453  by tzg

Vorteil wrote: 10 Oct 2018 20:06 It could be the cause of the amonia spike. Looks like the tank is cycling. The sand is geeting a hint of brown to it. The marimo ball there. Is it supposed to look or get that way. Looks like there's hair algae starting to form all over? If the marimo is not a true brackish ball I would not keep it in there. As far as the amonia I would not worry about it. The opae are really hardy.
Hi Vorteil, the marimo ball looks messy because i turn on the light for more than 10hrs causing algae to grow but im not sure if it is a true brackish ball. I have used this marimo ball since the start of my first tank this year march. Yeah this batch of shrimps had went through ammonia spike in the first tank so im not worried about this anymore. :laugh:
 #5454  by tzg

odin wrote: 10 Oct 2018 20:55 Looks like shrimp poop to me, have you got the means to change out some of the water for fresh brackish water? This will lower your ammonia while the tank finishes it’s cycle and in turn will remove the ammonia its self.

Can you get biodigest where you live? That stuff is great for this type of situation.

hi odin, i can get distilled water and salt to make new brackish water but i will go for biodigest to save time n trouble as im tight with work lately. :happy:
 #5506  by tzg

the water test is at 0.25ppm, seems like the seachem ammonia alert is not working very well. :sick:
 #5507  by odin

What test is it you are doing? Ammonia?
 #5508  by tzg

ok weird, i attached the pic and saw the pic posted, now it's gone. Yes ammonia test, pic reattched.
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-23 at 21.41.44.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-23 at 21.41.44.jpeg (108.94 KiB) Viewed 8536 times