Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5001  by odin

You will have to wait until they start breeding and then when numbers are higher you will see them out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #5002  by thecollector

@QDanT

Have you tried lowering the light level, having periods where the lights are at a dimmer setting, or if you can’t dim them then just reducing the amount of light that goes to the tank, say by obstructing part of the light.

I found that my Opae's started offing being a bit sensitive to too much light.

I’m now using cheap USB SMD 3528 LED’s (warm whites - it's what I had laying about), they don’t put out that much light.

The Opae still like hiding in the rock piles, but they have no problem being out and about during the day.
 #5003  by opae ula related

QDanT wrote:it's very rare to seen any out during the day, though I was lucky this morning :what: yet if I get up in the middle of the night, to go to the toilet, and have a look in the Shrimp room in the dark with a torch, they're all over the Lava rocks, tank sides and swimming about.
Just wish they were this busy during the day as a blank tank can get boring
Ha, I use to the same thing when going to the toilet at night. Image
 #5004  by QDanT

[quote=thecollector post_id=5002 time=1525018312 user_id=205]
[usermention=190][color=#148FCF]@QDanT[/color][/usermention]

Have you tried lowering the light level, having periods where the lights are at a dimmer setting, or if you can’t dim them then just reducing the amount of light that goes to the tank, say by obstructing part of the light.

I found that my Opae's started offing being a bit sensitive to too much light.

I’m now using cheap USB SMD 3528 LED’s (warm whites - it's what I had laying about), they don’t put out that much light.

The Opae still like hiding in the rock piles, but they have no problem being out and about during the day.
[/quote]

Cheers thecollector the light above the tank is a 4.8 watt 370 lumen GU10 240 volt 6500 k (daylight) spot, it's on a timer set to come on at 09:00 and off at 21:00 the Algae without growing out of control seem to like it and I don't have to feed the Shrimp in the tank. I wonder if it would upset them to change it to on 21:00 off 09:00 and just have a switched dim bulb when I'm in the room during the day ? Then again I don't mind waiting for them to breed and as Odin says the more in the tank the more about, though he did say they'd be juggling, tight rope walking, formation swimming and trapezing :what: The light's been off just over an hour now and I turned a dim bulb on there were quite a few out on the Lava rocks but they scuttled back into the caves maybe they're still too small to feel secure
[attachment=0]8mm shrimp.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments:
8mm shrimp.JPG
8mm shrimp.JPG (45.01 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
 #5005  by QDanT

opae ula related wrote: 29 Apr 2018 20:34 Ha, I use to the same thing when going to the toilet at night. Image
I've a couple of red led torches for map reading at night etc. tried one of these at first then realized you cann't see a red Shrimp on a red Lava rock with a red light in the dark :oh:
 #5008  by odin

Agree'd, have you tried a less powerful light just to rule out the issue?
 #5009  by QDanT

odin wrote: 30 Apr 2018 21:28 Agree'd, have you tried a less powerful light just to rule out the issue?
Hi Odin, it's not really an issue as now and again they'll be a few out, and at 6 mm they're hard to see anyway.
I think it might be a survival instinct thing :- hide while you're tiny and growing.
and the light's not directly over the water as there's a plastic food lid over the top of the tank, that acts as a diffuzer
then there's a clear perspex sheet as a condensation lid under that
I've just turned the tank light on to take this and there were x10 out :cool: I think I'll save up and buy another x10, then I'll have a bigger breeding colony. Safety in numbers :wink:
Attachments:
10 out 2.jpg
10 out 2.jpg (257.97 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
30-4-18.jpg
30-4-18.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
 #5016  by QDanT

I was doing a Nitrate test on the front room tank this morning (2-5-18)
so thought I'd check the Opae ula tank :- Nitrate = 0
the Algae's started to grow back after the Nerite snails scoffed it all :what: Nm nom nom
Attachments:
2-5-18.jpg
2-5-18.jpg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
 #5017  by odin

Glad to see they have settled in and are happy eating away! :wink:
 #5029  by QDanT

Here's a post from my 'made a start' in tank owners set ups
QDanT wrote: 29 Apr 2018 12:45 it's very rare to seen any out during the day, though I was lucky this morning :what: yet if I get up in the middle of the night, to go to the toilet, and have a look in the Shrimp room in the dark with a torch, they're all over the Lava rocks, tank sides and swimming about.
Here's a photo turning the light on in the middle of the night my thought is while there's plenty of Algae and they're tiny and growing it's a survival thing to hide.
As they're growing I'm seeing more and more out during the day
as I write this Friday afternoon there's x10 out
Attachments:
4-5-18 10 out.jpg
4-5-18 10 out.jpg (145.43 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
30-4-18.jpg
30-4-18.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
05-4-18 a.jpg
05-4-18 a.jpg (236.86 KiB) Viewed 3998 times