Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #4846  by odin

No problem and i'm glad they got to you safely, i put a few extras in for you too :wink:
 #4882  by QDanT

Ever since the Opae ula went in the tank last Wed. there's always been at leased 2 or 3 scooting about, busy busy, and I've noticed around early afternoon most of them are out swimming around., the light's on a timer 09:00 to 21:00, The usual 2 or 3 were out Sat. morning but that's the last time I saw any, the Snails are still busy munching the Algae but no Shrimp in sight they cann't all be hiding to shed their skin ( like the Wood Shrimp was) at the same time shurely ? I had a look last night when the lights were out, with a red torch, but nothing, I checked the Ammonia this morning it was = 0.
Temp is 76*F. is it normal to not see any for a few days ?
 #4883  by odin

Yep it’s normal and especially when in a new tank, have you spotted any moults? What are the Nitrates like in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4885  by odin

Then I wouldn’t worry about it and let them settle in for a bit, if they have loads of hiding spots and food close by then they won’t need to venture out or too far.

#4887  by QDanT

thans Odin, there's more than enough hiding spots all the Lava rocks have several holes drilled through them and they are stacked up as well. Would you try a small pinch of Spirulinia powder, in water, pippeted in ?
 #4888  by odin

I doubt they would take it with there being so much algae in your tank, you could try it if you wanted to but don’t go crazy with it.

#4895  by QDanT

I didn't mind setting up the tank and patiently waiting for it to cycle, then buying the Shrimp,
but I was then expecting more than an emty tank to watch. I know at the moment they're tiny but I was looking forward to watching them grow, but if they're hiding :upset:

#4885 by odin
09 Apr 2018 19:17
let them settle in for a bit, if they have loads of hiding spots and food close by then they won’t need to venture out, or too far.

How long is the hiding likely to last ? because at the moment I'm thinking of taking at least the top Lava rock out
and putting it in the front room tank as a good biological starter, to cut down the hiding spots and give me more of a tank view
Attachments:
tank 10-4-18.jpg
tank 10-4-18.jpg (183.95 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
 #4896  by opae ula related

QDanT wrote:I didn't mind setting up the tank and patiently waiting for it to cycle, then buying the Shrimp,
but I was then expecting more than an emty tank to watch. I know at the moment they're tiny but I was looking forward to watching them grow, but if they're hiding :upset:

#4885 by odin
09 Apr 2018 19:17
let them settle in for a bit, if they have loads of hiding spots and food close by then they won’t need to venture out, or too far.

How long is the hiding likely to last ? because at the moment I'm thinking of taking at least the top Lava rock out
and putting it in the front room tank as a good biological starter, to cut down the hiding spots and give me more of a tank view
Yeah, like Odin said it is normal. Takes time to get used to new environment. I always think they are making sure they are no predators around before venturing out.
 #4897  by odin

Wait until they start breeding and you have hundreds lol.