Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5689  by opae ula related

I concluded that the white spots on the snail is centric diatoms base on the chart. I also have them on the glass too. They don't move.
 #5693  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:Looks like snail eggs, OUR! :what:

Are these pipipis?
So I am totally wrong? They are really flat.

Pipiwai or some people call them Pipipi snails. This video shows the difference. True Pipipi snails didn't survive long in my brackish tank.
 #5699  by Algae In Space

I see! Yeah I never quite understood the difference. Where did you get these? That's strange. Why do you think they did not survive? I always thought they thrive in brackish water. And what are the new ones then munching away on the algae? Neritina pulligera?

I am 99,9% positive about the snail eggs. They look typical to me. Interestingly enough I wanted to ask you about your snails and how much eggs they lay. :grin:
 #5705  by odin

opae ula related wrote:
odin wrote: 14 Aug 2018 22:15
Vorteil wrote:This will be interesting to see if the duckweed survives.
+1 .. I too am very interested in this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Duckweed doesn't seem to be surviving. :upset:
That's a shame 😓
 #5706  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:I see! Yeah I never quite understood the difference. Where did you get these? That's strange. Why do you think they did not survive? I always thought they thrive in brackish water. And what are the new ones then munching away on the algae? Neritina pulligera?

I am 99,9% positive about the snail eggs. They look typical to me. Interestingly enough I wanted to ask you about your snails and how much eggs they lay. :grin:
Thanks for the confirmation. Learn something everyday.

https://shrimpmart.bigcartel.com/ sells them. He sells the pipiwai but calls it pipipi.
Some I have is from personal visits to hawaii islands.

In my tank the true pipipi wanted to hang around above the water line. I think Fukubonsai had the same experience. I assume they need the ocean water, rocks above water and conditions like hawaii.

Pipiwai thrive in my tanks.

Where did you see “ munching away “?
 #5707  by opae ula related

odin wrote:
opae ula related wrote:
odin wrote: 14 Aug 2018 22:15 +1 .. I too am very interested in this project.

Duckweed doesn't seem to be surviving. :upset:
That's a shame 😓

Yeah, maybe someone has better luck. I did notice one new small one is surviving. I will keep in eye on it. They do well in my fresh water betta tank.
 #5708  by odin

Ooo you have bettas too? Hey look awesome

#5713  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Ooo you have bettas too? Hey look awesome

ha, they are actually in a container. The kids wanted them when we were at the pet store many years ago. =) I also took all the Malaysian Trumpet snails from the opae tank and added them with the bettas a while back. fyi, I was able to get rid of all them (MTS) in the opae tank.
 #5714  by odin

Yeah MTS can be problematic if left untended :laugh: