Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6927  by thecollector

Vorteil wrote: 10 Mar 2019 06:33 I still feel it's best to keep any additives out of the tank. Water change I feel is ok but anything else I personally would not. If there's a need to use that then you must figure out why.
?

Are you talking about the bacteria balls?
 #6951  by thecollector

This has taken me by surprise...

Tank 2 has 3 floating babies.

Didn't even know there were any berried females in tank 2.

So I’m 3 for 3 - all the Opae in the 3 tanks have now had babies.

Tank 1 also has 2 new floating babies. There were/are a couple of berried females in there, so should see more floating about in the next few days.

The babies that were “born” in tank 3 are continuing to grow and colour up.
 #6953  by odin

That’s great news man! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #7032  by thecollector

Tank 1: Still some floating babies, there is at least 1 berried female. I can only say that I've see a couple of babies that have transition. There is just too many places for them to hid that it make it impossible to say how many. Have to wait a few week for when they are much bigger, to spot them.

Tank 2: similar situation to tank 1... time will tell.

Small jar: they keep growing, they still haven’t taken on their deep red colour like the adults in tank 3. I keep seeing molts and the number count is still the same.

Tank 3: similar to the small jar, the new generation keep growing, they are also the most active. While the adults spend most of the time on the rocks not really doing much.
 #7061  by odin

Im glad your tanks are doing well.. they have come along way in terms of getting them breeding.
 #7066  by thecollector

Tank 3 went crazy last night, one of the male Opae was darting about, non stop for a few hours.

There was a large saddled female shrimp, which I'm guessing was the reason for all the ruckus. The only way to describe her was she looked like a bomber opening the bombay doors before dropping the berries.

Completely separate to the darting male and the saddled female. There was one Opae chasing off all the other Opae that stood on one of the 3 main stones in the tank.

Everything has calmed down this today.

The now berried female looks to have more berries than I've seen on any other berried female. But that may just be down to the Opae in tank 3, just being a lot larger than the Opae in the other tanks.

I'm going to need bigger tanks...
 #7227  by thecollector

Tank 1:
It's been non stop floating babies. Trying to spot the transitioned ones has been somewhat impossible.
Only a few minutes ago did I see two on the front of the tank.
They are tiny and nearly completely transparent, making it impossible to spot them if they are anywhere else.

Tank 2:
Haven’t seen the two or so baby Opae in a while.
I’ve increased the amount of light above the tank to help the algae on the walls grow faster - to try and make it more like tank 3 (see the second image: tank 3 on the left, tank 2 on the right).

Here's what under the lights, on the waters surface - it's bubbly because, it's floating on pockets of air the algae gives off:

Tank3 and the jar:
Everything is going great, seams that the baby Opae are at about adult size (in tank 3, see image below), compared to the actual adults. The jar baby Opae are only half the size but still growing faster than in tank 1.

What was a baby in Jan/Feb, is in the yellow square outline, the adult is to the right in the acorn outline.
Attachments:
baby-adult.png
baby-adult.png (283.7 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
floating algae.png
floating algae.png (939.56 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
lights.png
lights.png (390.87 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
Last edited by thecollector on 30 Apr 2019 18:50, edited 1 time in total.