Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #6820  by Vorteil

@zlatan2601

Just do a major water change if you're not sure. It won't hurt. Who knows it could be something in the water. I've been in the same position as you. Babies floating one day and the next nowhere in sight. At the time it was summer & my guess that the 86+ degree temps were just too high for the babies. But there have been time where conditions were ideal and the babies disappeared. No idea why.
 #6839  by thecollector

It looks like the baby Opae started converting last night, all but one of the Opae in the small jar are now swimming around like adults, eating off of the wall of the jar and off of the rock.

The Opae that were left in Tank 3 (where the jar Opae are from), seam to be a bit slower in converting. Most are still floating around, one or two are swimming around and look like they are starting to eat off of the walls of the tank - which are completely coated with algae on 3 of the 4 sides.

A peek into tank 3...
2019-02-23.png
2019-02-23.png (810.08 KiB) Viewed 8261 times
 #6850  by thecollector

The adults in tank 3 don't do much, or at least I don't see them doing much.

But the babies, they have been fun to watch.

They have also helped me take my mind off of what was an unneeded family situation.

So, as it stands, the young Opae count is: ?

I’ve seen 5, but counting them all is now impossible because of their size and lots of places to hide.
 #6851  by opae ula related

thecollector wrote:It looks like the baby Opae started converting last night, all but one of the Opae in the small jar are now swimming around like adults, eating off of the wall of the jar and off of the rock.

The Opae that were left in Tank 3 (where the jar Opae are from), seam to be a bit slower in converting. Most are still floating around, one or two are swimming around and look like they are starting to eat off of the walls of the tank - which are completely coated with algae on 3 of the 4 sides.

A peek into tank 3...
2019-02-23.png
Nice. I know you dont fill up the tank. What is the estimated water in there. I see two white balls in there. What are they?
 #6852  by thecollector

opae ula related wrote: 25 Feb 2019 21:07 Nice. I know you dont fill up the tank. What is the estimated water in there. I see two white balls in there. What are they?

Tanks 2 and 3 (as shown in the pic at the beginning of the thread) are 15cm x 15cm x 15cm acrylic cubes, they hold just under 3L if completely filled. For those cubes I leave about an inch off the top, so it is about 2.7L. Only tank 1 is half filled, but has more than 4l of actual water in there.

The balls are the remains of “Pure balance” marine gel balls. The pack says they are ok in the water and I’ve not had any problems in the year I've been using the gel balls.
 #6854  by thecollector

opae ula related wrote: 26 Feb 2019 00:34 https://www.swelluk.com/evolution-aqua- ... f-balance/

Balls like this link? Never knew they existed.
Yep, the exact one I used.

The balls are coated in a layer of gel that supposedly contains the bacteria and other stuff. When you put them (balls) in the water, the gel dissolves and then your left with the balls.

I only use them as a source of bacteria, like API quick start. I’ve never seen any of the other claims take place.
 #6921  by thecollector

So... counting the new Opae is difficult.

But from the looks of things, the ones I can see swimming around in both Tank 3 and the small jar are all doing well.

They are putting on size and colouring up.

There is a berried Female in Tank 1, should start to see baby Opae floating about in the next week or so.
 #6923  by Vorteil

I still feel it's best to keep any additives out of the tank. Water change I feel is ok but anything else I personally would not. If there's a need to use that then you must figure out why.