Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #5403  by Hector

Hey all,

I'm in the process of setting up my first Opae Ula tank/ first salt water tank, and I had a few questions I wanted to run thru before jumping into things. I hope at least some of these are as thought provoking to y'all as they are to me.

macroalgae vs plants: most of the resources I've found online don't really mention the preferred salinity for macroalgae or plants. It's mostly just Freshwater = plants and Marine = macroalgae, but how do we approach this in brackish water? I've seen a lot of people talking about Java Ferns/ Java Moss, but never the salinity these plants like to live in. Same with macroalgae, I really want to try them out, but I'm not sure if they can survive brackish either. Does anyone have any advice?

Finding Opae Ula: I live in the US (Texas specifically) and none of my local shrimp breeders or fish stores really care any Opae Ula. I've seen a few online stores like https://www.google.com/ and https://www.ohmyopae.com/ but I can't find any info on them and the sites don't really send a "professional" message. Are sites like these legitimate? Where do y'all get your shrimp?

Feeding; most people in my area feed their shrimp a mixture of Cuttlefish bone and algae pellets (plus the natural biofilm in a tank) when trying to get them to breed, should this hold true for Opae Ula? I know they'll only breed if all the circumstances are just right, so I want to try and make sure I get everything how they like it.
 #5407  by odin

Welcome to the opae ula forum! Sorry for the late reply I am in the middle of changing my internet over to another company so I am going without at the minute.

I would look to source your shrimp from shrimpmart.net when available or just look on eBay for them if you do want to get them sooner then shrimpmart re opens, I believe they have had some bad weather over there which disrupts postage.

Plants I would say stick to macro algae or Marimo balls as these tend to do ok in any salinity of brackish water, other plants do ok for a bit but die and can cause water quality issues.

When it comes to feeding... if your tank has algae growing in it I wouldn’t really feed them unless you have a huge population, I feed mine one or twice a fortnight and feed them pure spirulina powder. Other foods can break down if not eaten and foul the water.

If you have any more questions just ask away :) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro