Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp and Macroalgae via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4618  by odin
 11 Mar 2018 11:13
Congratulations! I'm not sure on the time frames for these to be honest but maybe @opae ula related can chime in?
 #4621  by Weifoong
 11 Mar 2018 13:17
odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 11:13 Congratulations! I'm not sure on the time frames for these to be honest but maybe @opae ula related can chime in?
Hi @Beano , @opae ula related & @odin ,
Have u all been successfully in breeding the Alpha's larvae ?
I heard success rate is very low.
Hopefully u all have some experience to share.

Thks
Weifoong
 #4622  by odin
 11 Mar 2018 13:22
Shamefully i've never done much with my Alpha tank, they all carry eggs but because i don't know which are which i don't know what stage/time frame to apply to each shrimp for stages of being berried. I haven't confined any berried shrimp on their own so the larvae always got eaten i presume in the night when they got released. I have around 20 in my tank.
 #4623  by Weifoong
 11 Mar 2018 13:44
odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 13:22 Shamefully i've never done much with my Alpha tank, they all carry eggs but because i don't know which are which i don't know what stage/time frame to apply to each shrimp for stages of being berried. I haven't confined any berried shrimp on their own so the larvae always got eaten i presume in the night when they got released. I have around 20 in my tank.
Hi @odin ,
In this case, let me try to check with the home breeder who sells me the Alpha.
He briefly told me that he did separate his berried Alpha n wait for the larvae to release.
I never expect for alpha to get berried so fast about one month plus after I gotten them from the home breeder.
Hopefully he can share how to raise the larvae as I really don't know if I should be setting up another tank for berried mummy now.
 #4624  by odin
 11 Mar 2018 13:46
Weifoong wrote:
odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 13:22 Shamefully i've never done much with my Alpha tank, they all carry eggs but because i don't know which are which i don't know what stage/time frame to apply to each shrimp for stages of being berried. I haven't confined any berried shrimp on their own so the larvae always got eaten i presume in the night when they got released. I have around 20 in my tank.
Hi @odin ,
In this case, let me try to check with the home breeder who sells me the Alpha.
He briefly told me that he did separate his berried Alpha n wait for the larvae to release.
I never expect for alpha to get berried so fast about one month plus after I gotten them from the home breeder.
Hopefully he can share how to raise the larvae as I really don't know if I should be setting up another tank for berried mummy now.
That would be great, if you find anything out please keep us all informed! :wink:
 #4631  by opae ula related
 12 Mar 2018 23:51
Weifoong wrote: 11 Mar 2018 13:17
odin wrote: 11 Mar 2018 11:13 Congratulations! I'm not sure on the time frames for these to be honest but maybe @opae ula related can chime in?
Hi @Beano , @opae ula related & @odin ,
Have u all been successfully in breeding the Alpha's larvae ?
I heard success rate is very low.
Hopefully u all have some experience to share.

Thks
Weifoong
Beano is the man with the larvae! I have one female and one male so I can observe some things compared to someone with more than one female. I think the time frame is from 2 to 3 weeks but the last time she was berried was June of last year. :upset:

But I do believe they eat their young and since there are Opae Ula in the tank, I also believe they eat the larva of Opae Ula.
 #4825  by Beano
 02 Apr 2018 02:57
Sorry for delayed input as I’ve been busy with work. The lohena will go through berried stage for 3-4 weeks. You need to remove the berried lohena into a separate breeding box and tank. I use a guppy breeding box with narrow slats for the larvae to swim out to escape the mother lohena. You need to do this because lohena eat their young. I saw it happen with my own eyes. :what: You then need to transfer the larvae to a higher salinity tank. Otherwise they will die within 24-36 hours. So far, transferring them to a 1.018-1.020sg tank keeps them alive for a week. I have not successfully kept them alive any longer than that. I tried all kinds of feed but nothing works so far.