Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7847  by Vorteil

Frogbit does nt work either will Subwassatang moss. The Salvinia looks ok for now. We'll see how it goes. There is very little as far as brackish plants available to us. I've can't really say I've seen anyone whom has a diverse planted tank. I really don't care much for my current macro algae but it does serve a purpose. It grows out of control so then I have to thin it back. I've taken it all out except for the leftwover strands sitiing at the bottom of the tank only to have it grow back quickly. I pretty much leave this tank to do whatever it does. Just top off the water. Clean the front glass every so often but not very much. I had some start to grow on the upper right side of the tank. Wasn't sure if it was hair algae or not. Ended up pulling it off only to have it grow back again. It is the same chaeto so for now i'm just leaving it there.

2 (5).JPG
2 (5).JPG (49.34 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
IMG_9035.JPG
IMG_9035.JPG (46 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
IMG_4391.JPG
IMG_4391.JPG (40.51 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG (51.2 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
 #7848  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 30 Jun 2019 14:03
Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 29 Jun 2019 15:15

Thinking if it is is overgrown in the tank that it would be to much toxins in the water? And be bad for the shrimp and snails. Maybe the mussel will take care of some it. Found out that toxin is found in coffee!

https://www.seeker.com/amphtml/mussels- ... 72732.html

Yeah! I would love a mussel in my tank! I think they totally rock. Have there been seen mussels in the anchialine pools? I can't remember.
No, I didnt see them or hermit crabs or snails. Those are creatures living next to the ocean but of course they could of been in there but didnt notice them.

Oh ok!
 #7870  by Arnold

I just have a lot of Samolus growing in my freshwater shrimp tank and I knew that grows in brackish areas so why not try a little cutting, and for now its growing really healthy
 #7923  by Vorteil

It's been over a week and the Salvinia is not doing well at all. Getting brown and starting to rot. The tank it's in is at 1.008. Next...
 #7946  by Vorteil

Just wanted to say the Salvinia minima did not survive my brackish tank. Eventually started to turn bown and yesterday floated down to the bottom of the tank...RIP
 #7947  by odin

Thanks for letting us know, shame :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro