Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7799  by Vorteil

When it comes to plants in the Opae Ula tank I'm just not a fan of what's out there. Only really one plant that I have but don't care much for is the macro algae. It's ok but there's really not much to it. I just recently was given some Salvinia minima for my FW shrimp tanks. Just so happens that I needed more info and here's what I found. My salinity is around 1.008 to 1.010. Not sure if it will survive in there. Maybe I'll try.
salvinia-minima-558c191683a51.jpg
salvinia-minima-558c191683a51.jpg (296.45 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
sal.jpg
sal.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 6972 times

Salvinia minima commonly grows on the surface of still or slow-moving freshwater areas, such as lakes, ponds, and canals. It can tolerate water salinity of up to 4 to 7 parts per thousand (ppt) (or 1.003-1.007 SG) and also inhabits brackish water, including swamps, marshes, and wetlands. This species can also be found in backyard ponds and private lakes and can be purchased in states where it is not prohibited as a noxious plant.
81KYoxybkUL._SL1500_.jpg
81KYoxybkUL._SL1500_.jpg (243.69 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
 #7801  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:When it comes to plants in the Opae Ula tank I'm just not a fan of what's out there. Only really one plant that I have but don't care much for is the macro algae. It's ok but there's really not much to it. I just recently was given some Salvinia minima for my FW shrimp tanks. Just so happens that I needed more info and here's what I found. My salinity is around 1.008 to 1.010. Not sure if it will survive in there. Maybe I'll try.
salvinia-minima-558c191683a51.jpg
sal.jpg

Salvinia minima commonly grows on the surface of still or slow-moving freshwater areas, such as lakes, ponds, and canals. It can tolerate water salinity of up to 4 to 7 parts per thousand (ppt) (or 1.003-1.007 SG) and also inhabits brackish water, including swamps, marshes, and wetlands. This species can also be found in backyard ponds and private lakes and can be purchased in states where it is not prohibited as a noxious plant.
81KYoxybkUL._SL1500_.jpg
Nice, sounds like it should work. Reminds me of the duckweed I tried to no luck.

If it does work, need to have enough not to block the light coming in the tank.
 #7810  by Rex113

( opae-ula- related ) ...that is some nice looking algae you have there, I had something similar in my reef tank years ago. It was called maidens hair. :tongue:
 #7812  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:( opae-ula- related ) ...that is some nice looking algae you have there, I had something similar in my reef tank years ago. It was called maidens hair. :tongue:
Thanks Rex113 for the info. Now we know.
 #7816  by Vorteil

I stand corrected. It's called "bert's hair" only this is the green version.
Attachments:
berts hair.jpg
berts hair.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 6933 times