Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp and Macroalgae via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #6006  by Vorteil
 04 Dec 2018 04:49
He's an easy way for me to figure if my Opae's were eating or not the biofilm and the few times I fed a small amount of spirulina powder

Pics showing the poop at the bottom.

Here the opae are at the tops edge eating bilfilm.
tank1.JPG
tank1.JPG (29.68 KiB) Viewed 64 times
poop1.jpg
poop1.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 64 times
poop2.jpg
poop2.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Attachments
poop.jpg
poop.jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 64 times
 #6010  by Paulao
 04 Dec 2018 09:05
@Vorteil How do you handle all those load of poop? leave it as it is or vacuum it once in a while?
 #6015  by Algae In Space
 04 Dec 2018 15:18
I am always wondering myself what the best method would be. In my old tank I just siphoned the substrate once in a while but I would always leave a little for tank balance. When you leave the poop for months or years and stir the whole thing up the water will be nicely hazy :smile:
 #6017  by odin
 04 Dec 2018 17:28
I tend to just leave it in my tanks :laugh:
 #6018  by Paulao
 04 Dec 2018 18:55
@odin a question, if you leave it and it accumulates, doesn't it foul the water? in the case where you have lots of shrimp in a tank and with no filter
 #6046  by Algae In Space
 05 Dec 2018 17:17
By the way: I always thought that Opa ula make quite a bit of mess in relation to their size. One could call them active poopers :smile:
 #6047  by odin
 05 Dec 2018 19:58
Paulao wrote:@odin a question, if you leave it and it accumulates, doesn't it foul the water? in the case where you have lots of shrimp in a tank and with no filter
I haven't witnessed any issues and the water stays healthy for me.
 #6048  by Vorteil
 05 Dec 2018 22:26
I just leave it. I try to not disturb the jars. I open them up one a week for air exchange only. Only one of my tanks had sand for a substrate. All the others usa small lava rocks. If you disturb the sand/gravel you could end up releasing the amonia that's trapped in there. I don't feel it will harm the opae. All my opae were fed freeze dried spirulina only at one point in time. All the tanks water is crystal clear even the tank I fed every few days. Granted the glass may look hazy due to the fact that I don't scrub it down often. The algae just build up over time. I will clean sometime this week and take new pics of the tanks only. Jars will stay the same.