Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp and Macroalgae via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5505  by Algae In Space
 22 Oct 2018 12:51
Vorteil: That's exactly the point and the reason why reached out in the first place :smile: It wasn't crystal clear but greenish. Now it's a little nebulous. Just a bit.

Do you have a film on the water surface? Why is your water so crystal clear? Any advice?
I guess the question is: How can the tank (stones, lava, ...) be full of algae with a crystal clear water :what: I couldn't figure this one out yet.

Check it out: viewtopic.php?f=2&p=5502#p5502
 #5537  by Vorteil
 26 Oct 2018 01:10
The opae produce very little waste. I believe Odin had mentioned this. When I did feed it was spirulina. That does not foul the water and it was eaten up within 20 minutes or so. I do have surface film since I do not have a filter or air in the tanks. Every so often I'll throw an airline in at the top of the water's surface to clear it up.
 #5542  by Algae In Space
 26 Oct 2018 11:47
Vorteil wrote: 26 Oct 2018 01:10 The opae produce very little waste. I believe Odin had mentioned this. When I did feed it was spirulina. That does not foul the water and it was eaten up within 20 minutes or so. I do have surface film since I do not have a filter or air in the tanks. Every so often I'll throw an airline in at the top of the water's surface to clear it up.

I see. When I filter the filter gets brownish an/or greenish. So would this be foul water besides the algae??? I always wondered what the brown stuff really is. Bacteria I thought.

What's an airline? I suppose you don't throw in a plane with all it's crew onboard! :laugh: Is it a towel of sorts? I do that with a paper towel sometimes. I works so-so.
 #5551  by odin
 26 Oct 2018 17:19
Its a air pump connected to a airstone, it blows many bubbles that give the tank extra oxygen by agitating the waters surface via gas exchange.