Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp and Macroalgae via our eBay store HERE
This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #5301  by Opae157
 21 Jun 2018 15:08
Recently I was thinking what type of food to feed my opae then I remembered they eat algae so I took small pebbles and put in brackish water and put out in the sun few jars to culture. How long should I expect before algae start growing. During the day it has sunlight and night there is led ceiling light on whole night so they get quite alot of light.
 #5302  by odin
 21 Jun 2018 18:52
@QDanT Calling QDant! This guy should know a few answers to your questions, i believe he grows his own.
 #5303  by QDanT
 22 Jun 2018 18:12
odin wrote: 21 Jun 2018 18:52 @QDanT Calling QDant! This guy should know a few answers to your questions, i believe he grows his own.
you should have added the word Algae ! I don't want a knock on the door at 04:00 ! :ninja:
Just how I do it, but it seems to work, 2 gallon tank on south facing window sill filled with fresh water from the 70 gallon Front room Amano Shrimp tank, water change, then added a few drops of 'baby bio' plant food for more Nitrate seeded with a small scrape of Algae from the Amano tank less than a week for Algae to start growing on tank sides
xx.jpg
xx.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 378 times
cut some pieces of scrap glass drilled a hole in hung from a stick above the tank with string
xxa.jpg
xxa.jpg (199.32 KiB) Viewed 378 times
I also hung a Limestone rock in, when this had Algae growing on it, about a week, I transfered it to a jar of SG 1.010 RO Water on the windowsill for my upstairs Opae ula tank
G.jpg
G.jpg (201.83 KiB) Viewed 378 times
I don't think Algae self seeds in brackish water but continues to grow when added, here's the jar today I might add another piece of Limestone rock
xxd.JPG
xxd.JPG (55.73 KiB) Viewed 378 times
the pieces of glass are for one at a time into the Amano shrimp tank
xxb.jpg
xxb.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 378 times
xxc.jpg
xxc.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 378 times
not knowing any thing this is just how I did it :grin3:
odin liked this
 #5307  by QDanT
 26 Jun 2018 10:37
this is only my observation you can leave a jar of SG 1.010 and a jar of fresh water in the sun and the fresh water will start to go green (algae) after a few days but the SG 1.010 will still be clear, maybe ? the algae self seeding spores ? need fresh water to start to grow. I don't live by the sea so not much chance of marine algae spores ?
anyway I already had algae growing in a fresh water tank and adding a scrape to both jars saw it start to grow straight away. I did add a few drops of plant food to the water in the jars to add some Nitrate :grin3:
here's how I started back in February
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=304
 #5309  by Opae157
 28 Jun 2018 12:57
@QDanT alright bro thx. i put my brackish water jar for 1 week already then still no algae growth. will do what you suggest use a fresh water jar to culture some and migrate them over to brackish water