Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4876  by ShrimpyShrimp

Was curious if anyone keeping Opae Ula have any experience with bacteria starters that claim to instantly cycle tanks?

I am not talking about most of the over the counter endospores of heterotropic bacteria like Tetra.

The chemoautotropic bacteria (Nitrosomanas, Nitrobacter) that are found in starters like JBL Denitrol are what have me interested.

I know that Opae Ula are tough little guys and have heard of people putting a few in a non-cycled tank and they survived.
 #4878  by Vorteil

I've been using the Prodibio BioClean Saltwater. I've had 0 issues with any of my tanks when it comes to acclimating the opae with or without this. I do use this for routine maintenance.
Attachments:
prodibio.jpg
prodibio.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
 #4902  by odin

I can vouch for Prodibio products as they have done wonders for my tanks.
 #4921  by thecollector

I've had good results with API Stress coat+ and Quick start (got then in the small started pack - look for the pack where there is a clown fish on one of the bottles). Plus PURE Reef Balance marine gel balls to start the tanks and then one ball every week or so.

I've got the Prodibio, but I've had issue with it, mainly because of the little water volume in my tanks.
 #4941  by odin

thecollector wrote: 11 Apr 2018 22:08 I've had good results with API Stress coat+ and Quick start (got then in the small started pack - look for the pack where there is a clown fish on one of the bottles). Plus PURE Reef Balance marine gel balls to start the tanks and then one ball every week or so.

I've got the Prodibio, but I've had issue with it, mainly because of the little water volume in my tanks.
What issues have you run into by using too much? They state you cannot overdose a tank with it. Have you tried just using half a vial?
 #4992  by thecollector

odin wrote: 17 Apr 2018 10:03 What issues have you run into by using too much? They state you cannot overdose a tank with it. Have you tried just using half a vial?

Too much for the volume of water, even when dividing it between my 3 tanks.

I bought a normal pack, didn't see the nano version until after opening my first vial.

I'm planning of getting/building bigger tanks - with more volume so might try it then.
 #4994  by odin

Thats the spirit! lol.. rather then get smaller doses build bigger tanks! :laugh: :laugh: