Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3325  by Vorteil

Pics of my collection of Nerite snails. I currently have 9 snails in my Nano Cube 6.
Attachments:
nerite 10.JPG
nerite 10.JPG (109.13 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 9.JPG
nerite 9.JPG (143.81 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 8.JPG
nerite 8.JPG (177.28 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 7.JPG
nerite 7.JPG (155.96 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 6.JPG
nerite 6.JPG (164.19 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 5.JPG
nerite 5.JPG (105.2 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 3.JPG
nerite 3.JPG (185.83 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 2.JPG
nerite 2.JPG (165.25 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
nerite 1.JPG
nerite 1.JPG (245.93 KiB) Viewed 14869 times
Last edited by odin on 10 Sep 2017 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
 #3331  by odin

Oh wow they are beautiful!!! What type are they? The only Nerites we have here in the UK that are easily accesible are

Horned Zebra Nerites (CLITHON CORONA)
Zebra Nerites (Nerita natalensis)
Red Onion Nerite (NERITINA SEMICONIC)

They are all very nice too but they don't have awesome colours that pop like yours, thanks for the share.
 #8572  by Opae157

hi guys i would like to ask what type of snails is preferred in brackish water? hahaha my tank is finally showing signs of green algae growth which is good food source for my opaes but i would like to research and know what type of snails could be housed inside to clear some algaes off the glass if needed to hahaha
 #8574  by Arnold

They are hawaian pipipi nerite snails right? they are like other nerites and almost imposible to breed in captivity right?
 #8575  by Vorteil

In my opinion I would say away from Trumpet snails and stay with nerites. MTS breed too much in my opinion. Nerites do a decent job on algae. But why not let the algae grow for some time to see how it turns out? Most of my tanks have MTS which I've tried to get rid of but haven't been able to. I gave up.
 #8576  by Algae In Space

Get trumpet snails if you wanna become a TS seller :wink: I love em but it's breeding galore :smile:

About nerites:

I started with dusky nerite (Neritina pulligera) but really got the feeling they didn't like my brack. So I took them back to the shop.
I then got horned nerite snails and they love it in my tank. Within 2-3 days they got rid of all my algae on the glass. They are very active snails. Be aware that when you adjust them to brackish (before you put them in your tank) that there has to be food available. Mine started to nibble on each others shells over the night and ate holes into them.
 #8579  by opae ula related

Arnold wrote:They are hawaian pipipi nerite snails right? they are like other nerites and almost imposible to breed in captivity right?
It is actually Hawaiian Pipiwai snails from my research. Hard to obtain. Pipipi is so plentiful in the islands but dont survive in brackish tanks.
 #8580  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:Pics of my collection of Nerite snails. I currently have 9 snails in my Nano Cube 6.
Nice!
 #8583  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 04 Nov 2019 15:29
Arnold wrote:They are hawaian pipipi nerite snails right? they are like other nerites and almost imposible to breed in captivity right?
It is actually Hawaiian Pipiwai snails from my research. Hard to obtain. Pipipi is so plentiful in the islands but dont survive in brackish tanks.

Why do you think they don't survive? Too much or too little salt? Or maybe they just can't survive in water only and need air?