Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2136  by Priscilla

Does anyone know if zeolites can help increase pH?

And can someone tell me what's happening to my snail? Image
IMG_5505.JPG
IMG_5505.JPG (96.92 KiB) Viewed 8635 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2137  by odin

I'm not sure about zeolites as it's new to me but your snail is just growing, the black pattern may match up or just stay as is on the new part of its shell, I have one and it's black lines stopped showing and on the new shell extension is just yellow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #2139  by Priscilla

odin wrote:I'm not sure about zeolites as it's new to me but your snail is just growing, the black pattern may match up or just stay as is on the new part of its shell, I have one and it's black lines stopped showing and on the new shell extension is just yellow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ah, I see! I'll continue to do research on it then! & I hope it matches with the previous shell :smile:
Are horned nerites good for eating up green algae on the glass walls? Or do I need a different snail?
 #2140  by odin

With small tanks 1 or 2 horned zebra nerites is perfect, if you struggle with algae though if you add 1 normal zebra nerite it will demolish the algae lol. They grow 4 or 5 times bigger then the horned type.
 #2141  by Priscilla

odin wrote:With small tanks 1 or 2 horned zebra nerites is perfect, if you struggle with algae though if you add 1 normal zebra nerite it will demolish the algae lol. They grow 4 or 5 times bigger then the horned type.
Oh okay! Stick to my 2 snails then! Image
Do the shrimps pick and eat the algae on the glass walls as well?

#2142  by odin

Yeah the Opae ula will eat at it but they wont remove it any where near as fast or well as snails. They pick at it compared to the snails devouring it :smile:
 #2146  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Yeah the Opae ula will eat at it but they wont remove it any where near as fast or well as snails. They pick at it compared to the snails devouring it :smile:
Oh cool!! Does this mean that I don't have to feed them for now? I tried giving them supplements but they don't seem to be interested in it. Just worried that they are not getting enough vitamins for their health. :sad2:
 #2224  by odin

From what i googled, Zeolite is like a product I sometimes use in my freshwater tank called 'Purigen' by a company called Seachem. see HERE for info, you put it in a fine mesh bag which the company also makes/sells and it sucks up all nasties in the tank, a bit like carbon but this does an way better job. Take a look and have a read. :happy:
Last edited by odin on 19 Nov 2016 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
 #2246  by Priscilla

odin wrote:From what i googled, Zeolite is like a product I sometimes use in my freshwater tank called 'Purigen' by a company called Seachem. see HERE for info, you put it in a fine mesh bag which the company also makes/sells and it sucks up all nasties in the tank, a bit like carbon but this does an way better job. Take a look and have a read. :happy:
Oh, so it should work for sw tanks too right? Everyone should put 1 stone or 2 in their tanks since it removes nasties!