Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2116  by velvetundergrad

Hey guys, thought i'd share this here to see if any of you have experienced a similar phenomenon and could shed some light here.

I've been feeding my shrimps for the past year with shrimp wafers made by ocean nutrition for a year now. These are small circular green wafers. I do give them blanced zuchinnis and spinach on occasion but the wafers are their staple and they go crazy over the wafers in comparison to their lukewarm response to the blanched veggies.

On or about the start of this year i began noticing that the saddles of some the females had turned a green to the wafers. The green is a similar hue to the wafers and this led me naturallly to suspect that there was colouring in the wafers causing this.

Ive become much more convinced of that this month when a few of my green saddled mothers became gravid this. They're toting green eggs in their undercarriage. I've never seen opaes with green eggs before.

Any of you experienced something similar? I've attached a few pics for reference.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
 #2119  by odin

Oh wow they really are green! I can only say from experience that one of my white Opae ula has shown a green saddle but has never actually carried eggs so I cant comment further, i will be following this thread closely that's for sure! It will be interesting to see if the larvae are green too!? :lol:

Keep us all posted!
 #2121  by opae ula related

Wow! Never saw this before either. Are you saying that all your berried ones have green eggs?

I researched the ingredients before and below is the info. I don't feed it as a staple but as mentioned before in moderation.

Wheat flour, fish meal, soy-bean meal, brewer’s rice, brewer’s dried yeast, fish oil, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dried kelp, lecithin, wheat gluten, krill meal, spirulina, water, yellow 5 lake, blue 1 lake, minerals (calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium selenite, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate), calcium propionate (preservative), potassium sorbate (preservative), vitamins [a-tocopheral acetate (source of vitamin E), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K3 activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), niacin, riboflavin (source of vitamin B2), folic acid, biotin, ethoxyquin (preservative), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3)], citric acid (preservative), propyl gallate (preservative), butylated hydroxyanisole (preservative), L-ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), magnesium oxide, DL-methionine, L-lysine, taurine

Dyed opae ula?
 #2128  by velvetundergrad

Yea, i was looking through the ingredient list to see if there might bee a dye. But it's all greek to me. I'll keep ann eye out for any green shrimp in the coming weeks ;)

#2130  by Ann

Wow! I guess we are what we eat. Reminds me when we dyed Easter eggs. When we took off the shells, the whites of the eggs were the same color as the dye. Not quite the same thing. We ate them. No harm done.
Ann :grin2:
 #2134  by opae ula related

Yellow 5 lake and blue 1 lake are dyes. We know yellow with blue makes green. Image

Maybe you can advertise them as rare breeds of Opae Ula and makes tons of ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by opae ula related on 12 Nov 2016 14:39, edited 4 times in total.
 #2147  by velvetundergrad

Haha i suppose it's more humane than injecting the fellas with dye directly.

Im really curious about the young though. I'm tempted to catch the mother and put her in a holding tannk but im worried that the stress might cause her to drop her eggs. I did that with a previous mom and she ended up releasingg her entire clutch onto the ground 2 days later.

#2155  by opae ula related

Doesn't sound like you need to have a holding tank if all berried moms have green eggs.
 #2161  by odin

Definitely keep them all together, anything to maximise the hatch rate is priority. Keep us informed!