Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #1563  by Ann

odin wrote::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Id love to go out one day and see where they come from first hand... so far away though... :cry:
Same here. Not as far away as you, Odin, but pretty far.
Ann :sad:
 #1564  by Priscilla

Wander wrote:Yes that is enough space :)
Feed them about twice a week you can do much less but two times a week works pretty well (feed very little) :grin:
Just add normal cuttlebone. It has a lot of surface area so it will work great :sidesmile:
Powdered will work better but it will spike your ph and hardness and it will be gone very quickly.
Hi Wander!
Oh okay! But how do I get it to sink? Because I can actually chuck a tiny piece on my coral :sidesmile:
I read from some where that shrimps would munch on the cuttlebone to help strengthen their shells :what:
Can't wait to try it out!!
Last edited by Priscilla on 12 Oct 2016 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
 #1565  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Hey @Priscilla Sorry about missing your questions, as @Wander mentions about adding powdered cuttlebone it will spike very fast, i dont know if it would be stressful for the shrimps as ive never made the PH swing that fast but i would just add a lump to the tank and let nature take its course, if you are worried about aesthetics i would just buy some ocean rock and put it in, this will solve the issue too.

Your tank is big enough to house the shrimp you have and is big enough to have them breed nicely, as for food i would only feed them once a week and small (tiny) amount. What doesn't get eaten in a few hours i would net out so it doesn't break down and foul the water.

I'm glad you are enjoying the forum :smile:

Hi Odin!

Oh no worries at all! I was afraid that you'd mind me hinting that you missed my reply :omg:

Alright! Glad to hear that they have enough space for their own and some babies! :smile:
I'll probably add a small piece once I figure out on how to let it sink. Thank you and everyone for the advice!
So I can choose between once or twice a week? Is it alright to fee them with bee pollen for every feeding?

I'm indeed enjoying and loving the forum!
Everyone here is so nice and friendly!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
 #1567  by Priscilla

opae ula related wrote:Nice tank!

Do you know the salinity levels of the tank? Does your tank have lighting or indirect sunlight? Did your tank come with a cover, not necessary but that is what I preferred to help with the evaporation.
Thanks opae ula related! :grin2:

My water salinity is from 1.012-1.013

I don't actually have a light specially for it, the tank is actually sharing my desk lamp with me,
I positioned it so that the tank would get more light. Looking forward to getting a light just for it though! :happy:

My tank came with a cover! A glass piece which covers about 3/4 of the top.
I prefer tanks with cover too, because I don't like having dust and stuff landing on my water surface, looks kinda ugly :sad2:

Even with a lid, I still have to top up water every morning though. Just afraid of scaring/disturbing the shrimps.
 #1568  by odin

Don't worry about upsetting them topping up, it's for their own good :)

Your salinity is also perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1570  by Priscilla

Wander wrote:
Priscilla wrote:
Wander wrote:Yes that is enough space :)
Feed them about twice a week you can do much less but two times a week works pretty well (feed very little) :grin:
Just add normal cuttlebone. It has a lot of surface area so it will work great :sidesmile:
Powdered will work better but it will spike your ph and hardness and it will be gone very quickly.
Hi Wander!
Oh okay! But how do I get it to sink? Because I can actually chuck a tiny piece on my coral :sidesmile:
I read from some where that shrimps would munch on the cuttlebone to help strengthen their shells :what:
Can't wait to try it out!!
Yes, it will sink after about 1 to 2 weeks Image Image
Patience is keyImage

Have a great day!
Oh okay! I'll go chop up the cuttlebone and have it in the tank by tonight or so! :smile:
Thank you and have a great day too!
 #1571  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Don't worry about upsetting them topping up, it's for their own good :)

Your salinity is also perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Haha I hope they don't mind :tongue:
Oh, and one question, can I add a bit of biodigest into my tank? Like a few drops of it.
Because my LFS recommended me and said it's good for the water.
 #1578  by odin

Of course you can! :happy: :grin: I used it alot when my tank was new and it kept the water VERY healthy indeed, it converts all the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates instantly! Only issue is that the algae you want to grow in your tank will have alot of its food source (nitrates) whipped and taken away and may hinder its growth, as this is a food source to the shrimp you just need to make sure you do feed the tank if you do have a larger number of Opae ula in there. You cannot overdose a tank on the Biodigest so don't worry about that.
Last edited by odin on 12 Oct 2016 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
 #1581  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Of course you can! :happy: :grin: I used it alot when my tank was new and it kept the water VERY healthy indeed, it converts all the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates instantly! Only issue is that the algae you want to grow in your tank will have alot of its food source (nitrates) whipped and taken away and may hinder its growth, as this is a food source to the shrimp you just need to make sure you do feed the tank if you do have a larger number of Opae ula in there. You cannot overdose a tank on the Biodigest so don't worry about that.
Oh cool! Do I only have to use it for a few times or do I have to use it as long as my tank is up? One vial treats about 30l, but mine is only 2.8l, will it be safe to add everything in?

Also! Can I always give my shrimps bee pollen on feeding day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1582  by odin

I would add half of a vial to be honest, better safe then sorry but I highly doubt it would do any harm. You can dose every 2 weeks if you wish but you really dont need to use it forever. I keep it to be used in emergency situations like if you get a ammonia spike or nitrate spike and cant do a water change to reduce it strait away etc .. you can dump in a vial and it 'should' save your shrimps from being poisoned. Its pretty expensive so its really up to you. I buy mine in large quantities as it gets a lot cheaper to buy.

With the bees pollen, I'm really not sure about it as I've never used it :smile: do you have a link to the product so I can do some research?