Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #932  by Ann

This is a wonderful video. It's always nice to see our little guys in their natural habitat. Thanks for sharing!
Ann :smile:
 #935  by odin

Oh wow they are all sooo red! I wunder what salinity their pool is? Was the temperature of the island very hot? Thanks for sharing that awesome video :sidesmile:
 #936  by opae ula related

It was 91 F degrees outdoor. As an afterthought, I also was saying to myself to check the salinity. I am sure each pool has different salinity depending on how it connects to the ocean. I visited one pool with no opae ula but it was all fresh water. Here is a video someone took.
 #937  by odin

Nice video, i was looking at costal temperatures for Hawaii, https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/hawaii.html

It looks like the majority of the water is around 80deg F which is about 26 - 27deg C (UK temp measure.) When our summer days put my tank water up from around 21deg C to 27 i see more breeding it seems. Now do i start to raise my tanks base temp gradually to test this out :oh:

@opae ula related What temp do you run the majority of your Opae ula tanks? We have to use heaters here in the UK :upset:
Attachments:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 9067 times
 #943  by opae ula related

Nice chart you found. Kawaihae (on chart) is northwest of the island and it is cooler than Kona (west -central) where it was around 91F when I was there. Hilo (on chart) is one of the rainest cities in the U.S. so it is cooler there than Kona.

I also have heaters and keep the setting at 78F and it is currently 84F because of the warm weather here in San Mateo, CA.

Warmer waters = more breeding? I don't keep a log but in this video of mine there was a large number of berried shrimp (around 6 or so) and it was in December. The setting then should of been around 78F or slightly cooler because of the colder weather. So you are thinking of an optimal temperature for breeding?

#946  by odin

Ahhh ok that makes sense then, mine are set to keep the water too 69deg F. I think i am going to start to slowly raise the heater temperature a degree at a time over the week.

Yup I think that although these shrimp can live well in the low 20's deg C I will try them at about 25/26 deg C and give them a few months and observe their berried numbers.