Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #9402  by Johnny Max

I received the shrimp, snails and macro algae I ordered from Vorteil.
I ordered a refractometer and checked the water I created and that the shrimp came in.
My water has a gravity of 1.010 and Vorteils is 1.013.
I still have the shrimp in the water they shipped in. It had almost a liter of water.
I have them in a glass vase. I have a filter running on the tank I am going to have them in, until I put them in there.
Should I raise the salinity to 1.013?
I can feed them tiny pieces of algae wafers I have to keep them happy until then.
I need to check for ammonia when I get home.
I need to snap a few pictures.
 #9404  by opae ula related

Johnny Max wrote:I received the shrimp, snails and macro algae I ordered from Vorteil.
I ordered a refractometer and checked the water I created and that the shrimp came in.
My water has a gravity of 1.010 and Vorteils is 1.013.
I still have the shrimp in the water they shipped in. It had almost a liter of water.
I have them in a glass vase. I have a filter running on the tank I am going to have them in, until I put them in there.
Should I raise the salinity to 1.013?
I can feed them tiny pieces of algae wafers I have to keep them happy until then.
I need to check for ammonia when I get home.
I need to snap a few pictures.
Everyone has a different perspective on this topic.
On this day the anchialine pool was at this level. I am sure it fluctuates.
 #9405  by Kurai61

How exciting! I’m waiting for shrimp still, also from Vorteil! How many shrimp did you buy (just curious)? I’m pretty new to the hobby, but I believe I read not to feed them for a month or so when you first get them, especially if you have algae growing?

I’m excited for your photos!
 #9406  by Johnny Max

Kurai61 wrote: 29 Sep 2020 05:39 How exciting! I’m waiting for shrimp still, also from Vorteil! How many shrimp did you buy (just curious)? I’m pretty new to the hobby, but I believe I read not to feed them for a month or so when you first get them, especially if you have algae growing?
I’m excited for your photos!
I ordered 10 shrimp, 10 snails and some macro algae. I got home late yesterday and did not get ant pictures. They are still in a vase I got from the dollar store.
 #9412  by Kurai61

Cool! I got the 15 + 5 pack thingy; it’s supposed to come on the 2nd. I’m actually kind of in a similar situation as you; I’m going to have to put them elsewhere while waiting for my main tank. I had an acrylic tank already set up, but I wiped it with an microfiber cloth recently and it literally left scratch marks! So I’m getting a better glass one and it’s coming through the mail.

Take your time on the photos!
 #9416  by Johnny Max

Not a good picture, but here they are. I have a cube set up and getting ready. The salinity is now 1.012
I wonder why it rotates my photos?
Attachments:
Opae Ula 2.jpg
Opae Ula 2.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6105 times
Opae Ula1.jpg
Opae Ula1.jpg (874.19 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
 #9417  by Kurai61

Thank you for sharing! I really love the little conical shell in the background; it adds depth to the tank and looks cool!
 #9418  by odin

Oh wow that looks great! I can sit and watch them for hours. :happy: :happy: Thanks for the share.
 #9604  by Jeroen

Vorteil wrote: 02 Oct 2020 07:42 Keep it it 1.010 that's what i prefer.
same here....try to keep it at 1.010, but of course if the water evaporates it will get higher. I even measured once 1.018 after a holiday period. Based on the picture and the story of "Opae Ula Related" I think it's definitly not a precise task. In nature there pools will also become a lot salter during long dry periods i guess